Single speed to 7 speed conversion.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I get an aftermarket 7 speed cassette and a derailer? I want to convert a crusier into more of a road bike.

If you want a simple direct replacement get a nexus 7 speed/coaster setup and all you really do is; install the tire, route the cable and mount the shifter. Adjust the tensioner and ride.
If you convert something from a mound of parts you should make sure to get all the parts off the same bike. I'd also recommend taking the crank setup if it's from a doner bike.

You can put an multi-speed wheel in some cruiser frames without spreading the stays. Others you might have to open up a little. A derailer can be put on with a bolt-on hanger. It depends on how fancy you want to get, you could get a cassette hub and lace it to your old rim.

I went the cheap and easy route on this bike. It had a coaster brake wheel, I put a five-speed wheel in it and put on a derailer, ran a cable and good to go.

funkyklunker6.jpg

You can also buy a wheel with a 7-speed internal geared hub and put that in, it looks a little cleaner than a derailer.

Latest posts

Back