Siren rebuild?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to rebuild or repair these? Currently it just spins free. Also, how are these supposed to be controlled? Other than the former owner using a wire to pull and hold by hand, is it supposed to be like a light generator?

IMG00192-20100419-1849.jpg

If it spins freely it should work. They originally had a chain, but the bailing wire should work. As you are riding, you just pull the siren against the tire and watch people move out of the way. There has to be air flow across the siren for it to work. That's why you don't get any sound when you spin it by hand.

Laugh it up smarty pants! :oops: :wink: This is the first one I have seen in person and it's on the old Schwinn 3 speed that I was given. Maybe th wife's hair dryer will work better. I'm sure she won't mind me "borrowing" it. :mrgreen:

A guy I know had one of these on his Schwinn Panther when he was a kid. He lived in a really small town of about 200 people (Garrett, IL) and would run the length of the town on the only main street with his siren wailing. The townspeople got together and made him take it off his bike! He still has the Panther, taken apart and rusty, and still has the siren. Those things are cool but must be very annoying to some people. Gary

I put one on my Krusty Higgins bike and absolutely love it!
Although, I do have to use restraint when group riding, I can tell it gets tiring after too much use.
It does get attention though.

A buddy had one on his Schwinn Tiger last weekend and it wasn't working, by reading this I've learned that it needs to be on the right side (his was on the left).

I bought some tires from a guy today, and he has one of those. He said it's pretty loud if you use an air compressor and blow air in it! :lol: He was thinking it mounted on the handlebars, and you had to ride REALLY fast for it to work. Now we know! -Adam

Back