Sissy bar squeak

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, there's a squeak coming from my seat when I pedal, and it's driving me nuts.

It's coming from where the braces bolt to the seat at the rear, when the seat twists slightly side to side.
I tried fitting rubber washers between the metal and the seat but it still squeaks
A liberal coating of WD only provided temporary relief

Is squeaking common with this type of seat? are there any easy solutions?
Any suggestions would be awesome

I have a pretty unconventional setup and realise if I had a proper sissybar it might not happen.
sml__0001_image3.jpg

you could glue it . maybe jb weld . if it needs to come apart later , just chisel or drill or grind off the old hard glue . just a thought

scrumblero said:
now you know why sissy bars are one piece.. :wink:

Right, so no squeaks from a normal one :(

Also, this is a child sized seat with an adult sized butt on it, so a regular bar will cover up important sitting space.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64295

ronbmarshall said:
you could glue it . maybe jb weld . if it needs to come apart later , just chisel or drill or grind off the old hard glue . just a thought
Not sure glue would hold up to the movement, and I don't think we have jb weld in this country.
And yeah, it needs to come apart every week when I change my mind on how it's setup :D

ok , well i think you are on the right track with washers , but maybe you can use hard nylon washers. maybe extra large ones stacked with small ones . it could even look cool . i think they have black and white ones at ace hardware in my town. gd lk

ronbmarshall said:
but maybe you can use hard nylon washers. maybe extra large ones stacked with small ones

I like this, that could work
I might see what my terrible hardware store has.

I went in the other week to get an M8 threaded rod and they're like, oh we don't sock M8 rods we only have only have a 5/16, that's close.
so I do a few changes in my head and figure I can get around that by using it with two 5/16 nuts
and they're like oh we don't sell 5/16 nuts individually only in bags of 30 with matching bolts for like 20 bucks. and we're out of stock.
The had plenty of M8 nuts in though :x
</rant>

Back