Skip Tooth Chain Link Question - How Many Do I Need?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gang,

Sorry for a newbie question, but here it goes.

I bought a late 30's/early 40's Gambles Hiawatha. I bought it without the chain, so I am now hunting for a skip tooth. I measured the front chainring and teeth are 1" apart so I believe I need a 1" spaced chain? (which from what I read is fairly standard). However, I have no idea how to determine the amount of links.

Is there a trick to figuring the amount links I need. Just measure with a string and take that number and that's the amount of links I need?

Here's the setup in question.

DSC_0109.jpg

Thanks for any help!!

The "standard" is 56 links. The final determination is by "trial and error".

Cool, because I have noticed 58 link chains more than not.

Can I use a standard chain breaker to work on a skip link?

tcb-1 said:
Can I use a standard chain breaker to work on a skip link?

Maybe... :D ...I had one that I bought 20 years ago that fit. I broke it, and bought another that I thought was the same... and it didn't fit. I bought a high dollar Park for BMX, ...doesn't fit. The main issue is that the diameter of the bushing around the skippy rivit is larger. And if the tool is made to cradle that bushing tightly, the larger skippy bushing won't fit in. The safest bet is to buy one that doesn't try to cradle the bushing at all, but forces you to line it up by sight.

last time I broke a skip tooth chain, I had to borrow a chain breaker from a friend who plays with go-karts that use beefier chains.
I think a motorcycle chain breaker would work too (not 100% sure about that).
Harbor Freight has one that may work, it's much stronger than typical bicycle chain break tools.

Hello. I am having the same issue. I have a 24 tooth chainring and a ten tooth on the hub. Sorry if the verbiage isn't correct. I am not sure how many links are on the chain I will be looking for. Its for a Hawthorne with the beehive spring in front. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Patty

Back