skip tooth chain?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Are these available for sale somewhere or am i soaking and scrubbing the rusty one on the bike i just bought? Thanks

idiotboy said:
Are these available for sale somewhere or am i soaking and scrubbing the rusty one on the bike i just bought? Thanks
some peoples run skip toot chain on modified "new sproket" so you should be able to run a normal chain on a old skiptooth sproket

OneHorsePower said:
idiotboy said:
some peoples run skip toot chain on modified "new sproket" so you should be able to run a normal chain on a old skiptooth sproket
Skip tooth sprockets are wider & don't accommodate a modern 1/2 " chain

dogdart said:
OneHorsePower said:
idiotboy said:

You got me thinking... 1/2" by 3/16" chain is still available I think... I wonder ???... Nah, I don't think so.

dogdart said:
OneHorsePower said:
idiotboy said:

ah! i was just assuming ... good thing to know

I have posted this a number of times:

Grinding off every other tooth will work (sort of) but I do not recommend it. You have to realize that what we call 1" pitch is NOT one inch pitch! It is a combination of .4" pitch and .6" pitch, the drive teeth are .6" pitch with a completely different size and profile of tooth than you would use for a .5" pitch cog. An inch pitch chain run on a .5" pitch cog with every other tooth removed will be a very sloppy fit resulting in rapid chain and cog wear with noise to match. Sure many have done it, I would on a bike that may see very little mileage or use, but not on anything I cared about. N
None of this touches on the issue of chain width, which will be different.

If you read through this you can see that a 1/2 (.500) pitch chain will not work on an inch pitch cog regardless of the width.

Speaking of width, there is, apparently more than one width of skip-tooth chain. A few weeks ago, I had my Colson-Firestone on my roof rack when I went to the LBS to pick up my Surly after a tune up (tune ups were included in the purchase of the bike). The guy that onws the shop came out to take a look, and we got to talking about the chain. I'd mentioned that there were a couple links that are a little stiff still, but I had it mostly freed up. He went back into the shop, then came out with a short section of skip tooth chain, thinking I might want to replace some bits of it. I was surprised that they had it at all, but when we measured it, it was almost 1/16th of an inch narrower than the chain on my bike. Has anyone ever heard of that?

OneHorsePower said:
even in BMX chains ? i just remembered i run a fat one on a standard sprockets on one of my bikes

Typically, single speed chain was 1/8" wide, and multispeed chain is narrower at 3/32". OTOH, older 1" pitch chain was 3/16" wide, so their sprockets are correspondingly wider as well.

expjawa said:
Speaking of width, there is, apparently more than one width of skip-tooth chain. ...I was surprised that they had it at all, but when we measured it, it was almost 1/16th of an inch narrower than the chain on my bike. Has anyone ever heard of that?

I have observed that the old US made Diamond skip chains are visually wider than the imported versions. But in my experience they have all fit.

I have never seen an inch pitch chain narrower than 3/16 but I have seen pre-balloon tire era chains that were wider.

No, they wouldn't work. On a 1/2" pitch chain the inner and outer links are all equal lengths but on a skip tooth chain the inner links are longer than the outer.

chain-width.jpg

Pic from nostalgic.net

But you do have options besides buying a $100 chain. You can regularly find good used skip tooth chain in the for sale section for $30-60.

Replace both the front and rear sprockets with 1/2" pitch sprockets. If you want to keep the skip tooth look make sure both have an even number of teeth and grind off every other tooth. Skip tooth looks with modern chain. Depending on what rear hub you have that may be your stumbling block.

i see now :roll: i thought the skip tooth were literally skipping a link like having a 1/2 a link would fall in between 2 teeth ..
such a noob at this :? never had one of those

OneHorsePower said:
idiotboy said:

This is incorrect. :| "Skiptooth" cog is 3/16" x 1" pitch, so not only are you off pitch, the 1/8" x 1/2" chain is to narrow to seat. A usable chain is golden.

c.p.odom said:
I have never seen an inch pitch chain narrower than 3/16 but I have seen pre-balloon tire era chains that were wider.

EDIT, BECAUSE MY BRAIN WASN'T WORKING:

Racycles (the old bikes you may have seen with the HUGE 40 tooth skip tooth chainring) used an 1/16" inch skip tooth chain. Very narrow and unique.

Latest posts

Back