- skip tooth - front sprocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was just trying to figure out if you can use a skip tooth hub, with a standard single speed chain and an even-toothed front sprocket with every other tooth ground out. Thanks for the help!

You have to use a skip tooth chain for a "real skip tooth" hub but you could use a regular sprocket with every other tooth ground out and a skip tooth chain.

Yes. The skip tooth chain ring and cog are thicker than the common 1" pitch ring and cog. That's why you never see a skip tooth chain ring that is bent. 8) Gary

B607 said:
Yes. The skip tooth chain ring and cog are thicker than the common 1" pitch ring and cog. That's why you never see a skip tooth chain ring that is bent. 8) Gary
never say never........
003-14.jpg

i would not recomend it i did just this with the galt town hooligan and although it does not seem to be a problem because a skip's teeth are not just thicker but longer when a regular gear is used and modified when going from brake to gas it rotates a bit on the chain for a second till it takes up the slack. does not really pop at all and has never given me a problem but probably not best for a dailly rider. although it does open up a whole new group of gears to use which is why i did it.

:lol: ok if you dropped it out of a moving vehicle, it would get bent. but the sprockets are quite a bit thicker, as is the chain and everything else. it was built to last. but many people have meshed skiptooth parts with non skiptooth parts. i think its best to keep skiptooth to skiptooth and regular to regular, just to avoid any problems.

Back