Skip-Tooth Higgins and Fuji Road

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to post these for your viewing pleasure. The Higgins i just picked up today. I saw a torpedo grip and a rusty bell poking out from under a tarp along my dog walk route. The owner dosn't live in the house so I had to wait to run into him while he was there. I finally did and got to take a look at what was underneath. I liked what I saw and we struck a deal. It was his father's bike and I was surprised at the deal he gave me. As we were talking he said he might have a box of Bendix coaster hubs somewhere. I gave him my number and told him to call if he finds them. And here come the pics...

P1000428.jpg

P1000429.jpg

P1000434.jpg

Not the original seat...

P1000430.jpg

Higgins hub...

P1000431.jpg

P1000432.jpg

P1000436.jpg

P1000435.jpg

Allstate Crusader Balloon...

P1000438.jpg

Serial Number. If anyone has any information or can point me in the right direction for a date please let me know.

P1000437.jpg

Next is a 1984 Fuji Sagres roadie. I picked this up abandoned on the side of the road. It was missing the left side crank arm and pedal. Fuji VaLite tubing, Nitto stem and bars, Ukai front rim, Shimano SIS rear derailer, Dia-Comp 500 caliper brakes. The rear wheel and derailer looks like a replacement. The original specs can be found here http://classicfuji.com/1984_16_Sagres&S ... e_Page.htm. I think I'm going to give this one the single-speed w/ coaster brake teatment. If anyone has a left side Sugino GT 170mm crank arm they want to part with, I'm your guy. And once again here comes the pictures...

P1000439.jpg

P1000441.jpg

P1000443.jpg

P1000444.jpg

P1000440.jpg

P1000442.jpg

Thank you for your time.

I've got a Murray built Higgins very similar to that (although mine was just the frame). The rear dropouts are the same as mine with the rear loading, but no adjustment screw. From the pictures of key areas of the frame it looks to be the same as mine, just with I'm assuming a slightly earlier serial number set.

Phil estimated mine to be around 1946-47. The serial on mine is MOS-L MOD 502 56636.

web.jpg

M.Martian said:
I've got a Murray built Higgins very similar to that (although mine was just the frame). The rear dropouts are the same as mine with the rear loading, but no adjustment screw. From the pictures of key areas of the frame it looks to be the same as mine, just with I'm assuming a slightly earlier serial number set.

Phil estimated mine to be around 1946-47. The serial on mine is MOS-L MOD 502 56636.

That's what I would've said, a very early JCH! 215 is the model # on yours, but those aren't actually listed in Sears catalogs. They show a catalog #, which is stamped on the bikes starting around the early 50s. -Adam

The rear hub on your Higgins is an Elgin Air Cooled hub that would be in the 40's. Someone swapped the brake arm from what I can tell. Would you want to sell the Coke Bottle grip? I have just 1 and yours would help me make a pair!

Back