Skiptooth chains

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple off of some of the old bikes I have bought recently. I got out the longest one I had and started a long cleaning procedure. When I cleaned off one side ,that had 60 + years of grime on my bench grinder wire wheel , I noticed that a bunch of the links had a crack in the part around the pin. So I got another one and it was a diamond chain and it looked ok. If I had run this chain without cleaning and inspecting it there could have been a problem.It takes a long time to clean one right. I wire wheeled both sides and then the middles and then soaked it in mineral spirits. It still had some rust/grime on the small links inside ,so I bent it and wire brushed the inside of each one of them . It came out like new ,with alot of work. So inspect them before you just throw them on a bike. :wink:

They call it a 1'' pitch chain. It was maybe the first highly used design for a chain. (I know I'm going to be corrected on this one) It has a big link and a small link. I dont see the advantage ,but most people like them for the nostalga of them. A lot of the companys stopped using them after ww2. Some kept them on till the 50's. I think at the time they were searching for a standard and they all agreed on the ones we have today. Ok everybody yall can jump on me now , but it was just for explanation purposes only. :roll: :roll: :roll:
8001.jpg

Im with Uncle Stretch on the explanation even if hes wrong it still sounds like he is right.
Dont ride if your chain is on crack or i mean dont ride if your chain is cracked. :mrgreen:

I'll tell you one advantage. Have you ever seen a skip tooth chain ring that was bent? Have you ever seen a regular (1/2" pitch) chain ring that was bent? I thought so. 8) B607

Back