Skirted Fenders

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a set of skirted fender similar to this:

100_8918.jpg

taken from the gallery: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18391&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45#p188363

But before I start going nuts with the welder I wanted to find out if anyone had done a set of these and could give me a few pointers. I have experience with wire fed welders, and only a little experience brazzing. Chances are I will pick up a few old sets that I can lightly weld on and whip out the plasma torch with a few sheets of steel and see what i can come up with.

thoughts?

As you will learn... Too much heat can ruin the entire project.

I would suggest using a mig welder, but Tig would be even better for keeping the heat localized.

Weld small spots then cool it off, if you try to run a bead you will warp it for sure... so weld a small spot, then work on the other side moving back and forth from side to side until its completely welded up making sure to let it cool off and not get too hot in any one area.

Takes patience, but you can do it.

Hey Postman, be sure and post pics of your build-up. It'll be cool to see how metal works out as opposed to the fiberglass ones on my bike in the pic. I imagine the bike might get a little heavy, as mine seemed to really gain weight after I undercoated the fenders and tank for a quieter ride. Good luck on your project.

BlsdEsq said:
Hey Postman, be sure and post pics of your build-up. It'll be cool to see how metal works out as opposed to the fiberglass ones on my bike in the pic. I imagine the bike might get a little heavy, as mine seemed to really gain weight after I undercoated the fenders and tank for a quieter ride. Good luck on your project.

will do. I am just about to score a bunch of 40s-50s cruises left in some guys garage in the town i work in, so if i come up with any fenders that are usable as a guinea pig and not worth keeping ill give it a shot this weekend and see what i can come up with.

I figured it would add a fair amount of weight to the bike, but hey ill just burn that many more calories petaling 400lbs of steel up a South Dakota hill :).
I will most likely try to go as thin as i can with the steel and not have it end up too flexable and depending on how they look after the welding i may just leave them raw and clear coat them as i would like to add them to my Rollfast:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19225

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Tig welder so I'll have to make due, but I'm sure I can get it to work.

nice build btw, sorry I didnt give you a shout out in that first post

If you know of any local stock car racers in your area they might have a bead roller you can use,this rolls a bead around the edge of your panels whitch stiffens the panel letting you use lighter gauge metal(saves weight and looks profesionally done)

postman said:
hey ill just burn that many more calories petaling 400lbs of steel up a South Dakota hill :).

I definitely know what you mean. I'm getting a pretty good workout ridin' mine!! Nevertheless, once I get 'er up to speed she floats along like a true lead sled :)

Back