Skirts!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are meant for 26" fenders.
Others have been able to use them on various non-Elgin frames and chainguards. They fit great on my Columbia guard and fenders.

They are meant for 26" fenders.
Others have been able to use them on various non-Elgin frames and chainguards. They fit great on my Columbia guard and fenders.
Got any mounted to something like my rig for some visual perspective?
Its got an Elgin/Columbia cutout style chain guard and already preskirted fenders, however the skirts arent all intact [because they're wire skirts..], in fact.. half the set on both sides closer to the seat are missing, which gives perfect clearance for these.

Based on your experience, do you feel they mount better to 24" or 26" fenders? They almost fit my Otasco, But I feel their quality enough to be on the Columbia.
Thanks for the feedback Tanks!:blush:
The Skirts will work on 26 Inch Elgin & Columbia If you use the Girls Guard you have to change out the sprocket .. The Elgin in the photos has a Mens Guard & Mens Sprocket & the Skirt fits perfectly ( There is also a Skirt on the 20 inch side car wheel now not in the photo.. ) Ive never tried them on a 24 but if I can put one on a 20 inch fender it should work on a 24 inch fender. You also may be able to avoid drilling holes with stong backed glue velcro . If you don't ride to fast ? I hope this helps.
DSC01286_zpsaebce69f.jpg

The Higgins is a case where I used the Girls guard that came attached with the Shirt & I had to change out the sprocket.
DSC02612.jpg

if I choose not to change out the sprocket, will some 16g tie wire hold it well enough at the point? I think the tabs for the fender are a little flat, but its not like they're hard to reshape.. Im so new to having skirts, but so..SO excited.

My Columbia is a Ladies, and Im not sure of the gender of the skirts I have, but they dont seem far off from being able to fit to the chainguard..worst case I figured Id support them on the bottom frame bar, leading to the dropouts.
RearWheelleftside_zps322cc618.jpg

RearwheelRightside_zps4c59d49b.jpg

[Bag has been removed for fitting]

Some one can correct me if I'm wrong all skirts where intended for Woman's bikes .So their dresses didn't get caught between the spokes.( I'm a bit confused on your sprocket question? ) You only have to change a sprocket if your putting skirt guards on a Mens bike with a Womans chain Guard. ( Like my Higgins bike) You have a Womans set up already but I have never put a skirt on the type of guard .I think it may work though .Also you could skirt the front portion of the fender & wire the rear portion with the skirt wires you have that could be interesting :39:.. You can clip the skirt base to the guard if you go to a auto parts store they sell clips that you can join the skirt to the guard with out drilling & pressure from being inserted into the fender that should hold the skirt in place somewhat on that side..

I had someone mention above that I needed to change the Hub to fit my skirts? I may have misread, but thank you for clarifying. I managed to pop them on in shy of half an hour with a little patience [pics to follow].
I thought the same, In the instance of the guards, lest they made some purely for decoration, but like you said..I'm pretty sure they were all female.
Interesting thought skirting the front and wiring the back., but I cant seem to see how that'd work with the chain-side guard being shorter ..
[unless... I put that new copper headlight shell thing I just got down by the front wheel to hide the gap!]
Today was the first day I've disassembled wire guards, and its so SO SO easy, I don't know what I was so worried about before.
I have them mounted..right..ish.. They wouldn't go in front of the rack supports, so I had to kind of tuck them behind it, which pinned it when the wheel went back on securely on both sides, though it did help to have a PVC "brace?" to keep the left side guard from sliding down. Watcha Think?

right1_zpse7a2710e.jpg

The longer original guard sure does help fill the gaps Im sure, but it worked.
left_zpsbaf3a926.jpg

Last edited:
I hadnt considered that thought, though it wouldnt go with the sway of the guards anymore, and their pretty much helping pin the guards in place so they dont slide down :p Nothings fit permanent.

Lucky! Been looking for a pair of those.
Rhode Island antiques mall.
I got a steal. $32.10
If you want hidden misc. bike parts.. army surplus goods, rusty or greasy wrenches for 6-10$ for the BIG ONES..
I mean this place seems like a real glam at first, but you get into the basement [its floor level and basement levels] and the real neat stuff comes out of the woodwork and sometimes literally pokes you in the leg walking by. Amazing place to get some serious scores. Its a section by section, so they house multiple vendors at a time, its not just a lot fill,which is the great part.. you'll be walking by and see someone who liked WW2 pens and desk decorations.. another who liked records and record stuff [including unopened packages of new vinyl needles]..
another guy who just collects old cool jackets..and so on.. the guy who had the delta boat/bike light [which I may add was only 19$ and came attached to a great rod you could rig for spotlighting] also had some of those beer cans from that club in texas they showed on PICKERS... he had some knives.. old peanuts gang stuff.. If you're in the neck of the woods, stop by there.. really nice people to deal with.

FZ

Rhode Island antiques mall.
I got a steal. $32.10
If you want hidden misc. bike parts.. army surplus goods, rusty or greasy wrenches for 6-10$ for the BIG ONES..
I mean this place seems like a real glam at first, but you get into the basement [its floor level and basement levels] and the real neat stuff comes out of the woodwork and sometimes literally pokes you in the leg walking by. Amazing place to get some serious scores. Its a section by section, so they house multiple vendors at a time, its not just a lot fill,which is the great part.. you'll be walking by and see someone who liked WW2 pens and desk decorations.. another who liked records and record stuff [including unopened packages of new vinyl needles]..
another guy who just collects old cool jackets..and so on.. the guy who had the delta boat/bike light [which I may add was only 19$ and came attached to a great rod you could rig for spotlighting] also had some of those beer cans from that club in texas they showed on PICKERS... he had some knives.. old peanuts gang stuff.. If you're in the neck of the woods, stop by there.. really nice people to deal with.

FZ
Myke is the guy at the Antiques Mall that usually has the bike stuff and lots of vinyl as well. He is a member on here but I haven't seen him post anything in a long time.

No way!! Thats excellent. I hope he posts sometime soon, Id like to know what hes got :p
Thanks for the heads up, Brian~

Latest posts

Back