Skyway Mags / IRC Tires... What would you do?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the Skyways are not so fresh finds but the IRC' tires I just picked up in trade. The Skyways have what I term as oxidation heavily coated on them. You can see in a couple of the pics how they clean up. The front wheel clean side took me about 90 minutes of serious scrubbing. And it's not completely done. Also pictured are a cool set of IRC freestyle tires I got in trade from a fellow bike guy. Here's my question(s).....

1. Should I continue to scrub these Skyways to bring them back to their original yellow color? Along with that, what do you recommend to get the original shine back? After scrubbing, washing and drying, the yellow does not come back real bright like I think they should.

2. I'm considering painting the Skyways to match the color of the IRC tires I got for a freestyle bike build. Instead of scrubbing them back to yellow. I know it would kill the value of the Skyways but in their current condition, they aren't worth much anyway. Would you paint them?

Here they are as found: (After some scrubbing)
DSCN2887-001.jpg

Here's the rear:
DSCN2888-001.jpg

Here's the front after 90 mins of scrubbing:
DSCN2891-001.jpg

Here's the IRC tires. Anybody know how old they may be?
DSCN2893-001.jpg

DSCN2894-001.jpg

After scrubbing and removing all "oxidation" coat them with tons of WD40, throw them in a black trash bag and leave them overnight. They will come out pretty nice.

Back