slamschwinnburrito/ new pics !!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: slamschwinnburrito/ now with big pics !!

IronSpadeCycles said:
A better quality shock such as one made from Rock Shok can be had for as little as $100

+1 Agreed... I have a ROX Shox on the swing arm of my wheelchair brilliant shox IMHO. Havent seen any quality shox the size im using on the cruiser for the suspension seat have you Trav? Its miniature spring would prolly be 1/2 the overall size of your "standard" shock? I haven't even been able to find another cheapo like it (the one i have was a kerbside find) Would like a proper shock for it if i can find it full size is waaay to long for this particular application unfortunately.

KiM

I found one but I can't remember where or who made it. It was like $400 and intended for the custom chopper market. Biggest problem is the limited travel doesn't allow for the shock to actually dampen and it becomes a po-go stick or just a rigid strut with a half inch of travel. Kim do you know the theory around mechanical advantages and shock placement? You might could use a longer (IE better quality) shock if you changed your rocker plate design and placed the shock mount outboard of the seat and ran a softer spring rate you could still have a better performing shock and actually use the travel of the longer shock. Or you could use a linkage multiplier but that could get tricky figuring out the details. I know how to do it but its very hard to explain in just a few sentences.

Later T

Kuttnhack said:
I'm really likin your build. Low is good, dumped is better. My lab (aka shop area) is also in a state of organized chaos, If I spend time cleaning, nothing gets done and I just mess it up again anyway. If you have any time, please clue me in on the spring you are using, specs, suppliers, etc. I'm having trouble springing my swing arm on my current build. We're looking forward to your next set of pics.
thank you kind sir and your rite about cleaning up .aussie is rite as well any moutain bike spring shock i like useing them they work fine plus i get mine for free from junk bikes i find or that my friends give me.

IronSpadeCycles said:
Spring rates explained: As per Rock Shok's website 350lbs, 400lbs, 450lbs, 500lbs, 550lbs, 600lbs, 650lbs, 700lbs, and 750lbs. These are rates per inch of travel and most all bike shock springs are designed only for about 2-3 inches of travel before total compression. The trick is your not taking into to consideration the other factors involved with suspension design, such as mechanical advantage, shock incline angle, swingarm to shock travel ratio, or the original intended use for the shock. (All these things can be figured out by searching google for "Spring rate calculator" for motorcycles or bikes)

A better quality shock such as one made from Rock Shok can be had for as little as $100 and are very adjustable and can be had with the many different spring rates listed above. The cheap Chinese made $10 no name shocks are really just "po-go" sticks, zero adjustment, zero or flat out minimal damping and who knows what the spring rate is. You'd be much better off using cheap Chinese shock to suspend your seat and make the frame a rigid than what you've done here.

Also are you a midget? Have you even taken a minute to measure the distance between the seat and the potential BB position? I guess comfort is not a factor on your design but I know I couldn't fit on this thing, my legs would be a pretzel trying to pedal. Listen I'm not trying to bust you nuts here I'm just trying to give you some "Constructive Criticism" and maybe a little knowledge to make your next bike even better than your last. Someone once told me that if you don't take the time to learn from your mistakes you're destine to keep repeating them over and over and over.

I'm planning on a chapter in my "bike builders book" I writing that will explain in detail all aspects of bike frame and suspension design.

But dude seriously you need to do some cleaning in there, build some shelves, burn some trash, paint the walls white, a workbench would help you tons!

Later Travis
thanks for the cc but i havent put the bb im going to ues thats just the old one from the other bike i got the parts from.and i am a little short and i do have a work bench its in there somewere.

ok here are the rest them before i painted it and tested it and it rides super smooth !
bikes181.jpg
bikes182.jpg
bikes180.jpg
]
bikes179.jpg
bikes184.jpg
bikes185.jpg
bikes178.jpg
bikes187.jpg
[/img]

Bike looks good! I especially like how the seat and frame came together, almost looks like the rider becomes part of the frame. Very cool! But I'm with Stretch on the comfy question. Does it allow you enough room to adjust when you start suffering from butt-fatigue? I'd suffer no matter what just to take it for a spin though! :p

Latest posts

Back