Slippin' Sturmey-Archer hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife claimed this trike after I got my retrofitted tractor seat... But she says it needs a cup holder...
2862272729_0196c6051e.jpg

Anyways, it's got a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hub, marked "three speed awc coaster brake made in england" on it. THe cable is broken, so she had been riding it around with it, presumably stck in whatever gear it's in. As the evening went on last night, she noticed it slipping a little as she'd turn hard. Then it would slip when she'd go to start out from a stop. Then it just started slipping all the time... She got a few hours of fun out of it anyways... Now she's sad cuz first her monkey bike got stolen, then her trike broke... I told her that it would be ok. I mean I pulled this thing outta the scrap yard... There had to be a reason it was there right? Anyone got any info on this hub? Thanks.

K I decided to retrofit a shimano 3ccc hub I had into the trike... Retrofitting sucks sometimes. I had to cut away metal because the sprockets were hitting, and the shifter parts don't function correctly... And the coaster brake parts don't work... Then as I am assembling and adjusting, I find I'm running into the same problem... So I look at where the wheel goes onto the axle... and I noticed the pin that goes through the wheel and secures it to the axle was missing... So basically I tore down my wife's trike and retrofitted a hub without brakes into it for no reason... :x
So I'm gonna re-fit the sturmey archer hub, get a new shifter and cable, then tear down the shimano hub and see what's going on with that one... Live and learn I guess...

Are they really that bad? I was under the impression that they were pretty decent... But then again I think Volkswagens are quality automobiles, and I even claimed to "enjoy" working on my type 3s every weekend...

I think they are okay, but I've always found them to be annoying.

We've run across two lately that were toast...and on bikes that were hardly ridden.

I also don't like the way they shift...having to let off pedaling for a second to get it to change gears.

Ride a bike with a Shimano Nexus hub and you'll understand real quick. :wink:

Cool enough... Yeah this one has a sprocket welded to the spoke flang closest to the drive sprocket, and i don't feel like trying to find another one or another sprocket to go onto it, so I'll run it til it's toast... then I may just put a single speed hub in there... My wif really seems to like this trike, which is good. She was kinda down after her Firestone got stolen... She named it minerva and wants to paint it... and she doesn't want me to, so it's getting her more involved, which is nice...

Before you write the SA hub off, put about a tablespoon or more of Singer sewing machine oil in through the lube cap and work the indicator chain in and out a few times while rotating the hub. This might get the spring pawls inside back to working. Thanks!!!

Mine doesn't have a lube hole... But I think everything is working correctly... We'll see tonight when I get home from work and re-fit it...

I think Cashman is onto something. However, if there's no oil hole, I'm guessing the grease is old and hardened, causing the pawls to stick. It is servicable. And not really as hard as you might think.

Another possibility. If the cable is broken, it's likely to be stuck in high gear. Crotchety bike guru Jobst Brandt made a very keen observation about the AW and possibly the AWC that might apply to your situation.

I've had very good luck with the AW, as has late guru Sheldon Brown. I have been able replicate the bug pointed out by Brandt, but only by very carefully misadjusting the shift cable to a spot between gears. Conditions on the trike may make the chance for this problem more serious.

You can oil them by unscrewing the indicator chain and once it's removed, you can oil it through the center of the axel. If it don't have a good clickety-clickety action after oiling, it may have a broken pawl spring(s) or the pawls could be worn or broken. If something is broke inside, shoudn't be much trouble to swap parts with another hub. Thanks!!!

Back