~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ The Finale. p13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Now it's the lamps turn.

It is fun watching you do your own striping.
Cool skills dude!

kingfish254 said:
Cool skills dude!

kingfish254, you get the "Most Supportive RRB's Member"! We can always count on you for a positive word :mrgreen:

bike2112 said:
Keep up the great detailing and artwork. It looks great.

Thanks man, cleaning up the lines and finished pics later.

EastOfEastLos said:
kingfish254 said:
Cool skills dude!

kingfish254, you get the "Most Supportive RRB's Member"! We can always count on you for a positive word :mrgreen:

WOW! Thanks man!!
It's easy as heck to be supportive with such a wealth of creative dudes and dudettes on RRB.
Some people take the Build Off too seriously, I just try to have fun!

Still need to clean it up some more, but you get the jist of it. I'm gettin into this, I might just invest in real Mack brushes and real lettering/striping enamel.
On a different note 8) Had a good time last night with a good old friend. Had a couple brewski's and hung out watching a Latin/Salsa band. Man, some beautiful women show up to these events. After being off the market for 6 years and now being single again for while, I think I found a sweet little fishin hole. :p Now then, to take care of some business then off for another bbq/birthday party for my friends, the twins. Big boys, I call 'em the "twin towers" 8)

IMAG0071.jpg

Keep on stripin' brotha and good luck with your fishin' !

2011-09-03143315.jpg

The lamp...the lamp...it calls me. Since I got it, I realllly liked it. All this work I've done so far...there's still time. Should I? Could I??

EastOfEastLos said:
The lamp...the lamp...it calls me. Since I got it, I realllly liked it. All this work I've done so far...there's still time. Should I? Could I??

Yeah! Do it!

It's looking great dude. Love your bike. I've been watching your build for a while now, it's very cool indeed. Keep it up!

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ The lamp..hmm.

DO IT!!!!

What do you have to lose? Go for it 8) 8)

kingfish254 said:
Keep on stripin' brotha and good luck with your fishin' !
Hooks are a little rusty but maybe I'll use a net instead. :lol: Increase my odds that way!
chimichanga said:
keep it up man!
Trying man. See you at the beach. 8)
char said:
Yeah! Do it!

It's looking great dude. Love your bike. I've been watching your build for a while now, it's very cool indeed. Keep it up!
Thank you very much brotha. Do it.. Do it?.. Do it......??
kingfish254 said:
DO IT!!!!
......gettin motivated.......
Circa Cycles said:
What do you have to lose? Go for it 8) 8)
.......gettin more motivated.....

I got the lamp a while ago and thought," man, it would be cool but probably not possible to light this sucker up". "It's about 70 years old, it probably won't even light up, it's probably dead". It's off a 6 volt system, 1940's car.

A while ago, I posted on the "How To" area of RRB's to see about using lithium ion, regular alkaline, batteries in series, F cell batteries from a alkaline 6v battery. I even bought a 6v battery and took it apart based on what I was told here and watching several YouTube videos on using the F cell batteries found inside a 6v battery. That didn't work. I did, however find it that THE LAMP IS ALIVE! I have some rechargeable 2200mah lithium AA batteries. I connected them in series, ran a positive and negative wire to the connectors on the back of the lamp and saw a teenie, tiny, faint glow begin to emerge from the heavy wire filament inside the lamp. It indeed has the ability to be brought back to life! But regular batteries aren't doing it. After lots of posts and replies and attempts, I came to the conclusion that the only way to go is with a real 6 volt lead acid/get cell battery. I didn't know what type, hadn't really seen one. "A motorcycle battery", I thought. But I've been lookin online and see that there are small 6 volt sealed lead acid batteries. Turns out even Radio Shack, Home Depot, and Ace/True Value carry them. I'm thinking I may run out and pick one up, bring it back and cross my fingers. I'M DOING IT!!!!
"LIVE .... YOU!!...LIVE!!!! (really RRB's.."dang"...not as impactful but, I'll go with it)
- Dr. Friedrich von Frankenstein:..... No, it's pronounced "Fronkensteen."

2012-01-17200407.jpg

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Lets lite up!

Picked up a little SLA battery, connected it and guess what???? A BIG OL BRRRRRIGHTT LIGHT CAME OUT OF THE LAMP!!!! YAYEAAH!! I'm going for it! Only thing is there isn't any part of the bike I see that I would put the battery, it's too big to be easily hidden. The best place I like in within the tank but the top bar and middle bar on the bike prevent me from puttin in the battery on it's side so it's narrow up and down and clears the wood tank. From what I've checked It will only fit laying down flat. Second problem is that it won't fit laying down with the wood tank without modification. I wasn't familiar with these little lead acid batteries until I started researching this lamp, now I know! Well, now I gotta figure a way and I'm committed on lightin up Smokin ...Smoke 'em if you got 'em! (j/k..don't smoke, its baddd for U!)

2012-05-30173850.jpg

2012-05-30173919.jpg

2012-05-30174222.jpg

2012-05-30174252.jpg

Even though I kinda hate to do it, looks like I'm gonna have to modify the wood tank I made. Traced the shape onto the tank :?
2012-05-30175517.jpg

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Chopped up tank!

I'm figuring since I want the battery inside the tank, I have to mod the tank unfortunately, there goes my work. So, I think I can make mirrored pieces to extend the width of the tank. I have a nice long piece of pine that I started working for the "width extenders". I'll have to router out the inside sides to accommodate the width of the battery. The good thing is that I'll have a fatter tank, I like the idea of that.

The weapon.
2012-05-30175611.jpg

The blindfold.
2012-05-30183250.jpg

Fire!
2012-06-11093714-1.jpg

I drew out a 50's car fender style shape. I'll go with it. The center will have to be routed out about 1/2" in depth.
2012-06-05164327.jpg

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~Chopped up tank! pg.12

Man, I bet it was painful to cut into that beauty, but I know it will be wicked again!!!

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~Chopped up tank! pg.12

kingfish254 said:
Man, I bet it was painful to cut into that beauty, but I know it will be wicked again!!!

I contemplated it long and hard, believe me. But I figured, "if I did it once, I can do it again". Why not, huh?!

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Tank "wideners" pg.12

I don't consider myself a wood worker by any means. But since I got some confidence after making the original first version of the tank, I attacked the "wideners". I first made a template with paper after measuring then transferred the shape to the pine. I had to re-do them a couple of times because this was the first time I used this big rotary tool as a router so it got away from me a few times and routed areas I didn't want routed :roll: . I've had this thing for about 11 years and this is the second or third time I use it, but I think I'm finally getting my monies worth out of it.
2012-06-05164301.jpg

Bad one, had to re-do.
2012-06-05111255.jpg

Better.
2012-06-05172653.jpg

2012-06-05172713.jpg

I shaped the pieces freestyle again with the planer I picked up at Home Depot for the original tank. Then sanded them smooth.
2012-06-05185133.jpg

2012-06-05185200.jpg

2012-06-05185226.jpg

2012-06-06102354.jpg

2012-06-06102437.jpg

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Tank "wideners" pg.12

First you create a cool wooden tank.
Then you make ieven cooler with paint and lettering.
Then you ruin it by cutting it up.
Then you make it even better and fatter and more stylistic!!!!!!
Oh yeah, and it functional now too.

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Home Stretch. pg.13

2012-06-11093634.jpg

2012-06-11100500.jpg

2012-06-11174708.jpg

2012-06-11175406.jpg

2012-06-12123641.jpg

Re-created the letters on the computer then printed out a sheet with the proper size letters for the tank. Layed thick packing tap over. Cut out the letters with xacto knife.

2012-06-13163325.jpg

2012-06-13172101.jpg

2012-06-13173844.jpg

Drilled the hole for a toggle switch I got from radio shack. I don't like to use any new parts on this bike but somethings I couldn't get around like this toggle switch, the tires, the seat post. I don't even like to use new nuts so some of the nuts on this bike I got from a stash handed down from my dads old collection of junk.

Tried to give it an aged look with the white graphics but I didn't like the way it came out.
2012-06-15124624.jpg

2012-06-15124646.jpg

2012-06-15124707.jpg

Ready to assemble.
2012-06-15151727.jpg

As I was working on the bike, this little guy walked past my feet. Came out of nowhere! A homing pigeon! Had a little band around it's leg. It wasn't really scared of me so I gave it some seeds, a lot of seeds and water and it made itself at home for a couple of hours until it rested enough then I lost track of it. Wonder where it came from or where it was going? Anyway, nice little visit we had.
2012-06-15152750.jpg

Back