Smoothing out rust?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OK, I really want to make my '56 JC Higgins a rider soon, but I want it rusty, the good thing is, it already is rusty. Now, I want a smooth rust, like a well worn handrail. I'm thinking linseed oil is where it's at, but first I need to find a way to smooth it out.

I have no flaky rust, no holes, just the finish feel rough like sandpaper. I'm thinking if I use 0000 steel wool I can knock the roughness down before I oil it. Any better ideas? Let me know. Thanks.

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

That's a nice bike...
I'm going to be doing the same for a bike soon ( In about 9 days..). From what I've been reading on here, is guys talking about using a OA bath, Oxalic Acid. You should be able to get it at a hardware store. It apparently is good for getting rid of rust, but not eating away at the original paint. I've read that you should rinse it in baking soda water afterwards to neutralize the acid.
I found that "Bar Keepers Friend " ( Similar to Comet or Ajax ) uses oxalic acid as it's main ingredient, I got some from Wally World yesterday.
Post how it goes or if you hear a better way...
I'll post to let you know how it goes for me, I plan a test tomorrow...

I've used oxalic acid to remove rust off of chrome, but removal is not what I'm going for, more like preserved smooth rust, so I think I'll go the steel wood and linseed approach and see how it goes.

Post pics of whatever you try. And also how you straighten those bent forks.

wetsand with some fine sandpaper, but instead of water use wd 40. makes the rust kinda dark and smooth. it looks perfect

Try rubbing it with waxed paper. I have used it on cabinet hardware to give it dull shine after dipping in acid to make it rust.

bikejunky said:
Try rubbing it with waxed paper. I have used it on cabinet hardware to give it dull shine after dipping in acid to make it rust.

I'm no so concerned with the finish, I think the linseed oil will do fine, I'm more concerned about the texture right now.

I wanted to keep the patina on my current project, I cleaned the frame with sos pads (very carefully, I wanted to keep as much of the paint as possible.) Then I just waxed and polished the frame, It took a few hours of work over the span of 3 days to get the look i was going for.
Here is a pic
P1060601.jpg

chepe13 said:
I wanted to keep the patina on my current project, I cleaned the frame with sos pads (very carefully, I wanted to keep as much of the paint as possible.) Then I just waxed and polished the frame, It took a few hours of work over the span of 3 days to get the look i was going for.
Here is a pic
P1060601.jpg
That looks interesting. Can we get a closer detailed shot?

Latest posts

Back