So I Broke My MTB Shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the bike fell over, I ran into the mail box, my son through the bike down. The same ole thing, the dang shifter broke and don't have 50 bucks to get another one for the beater bike.
Well for about $6 at Auto Zone or the Hard Ware Store I got a stick of JB Stick Weld Epoxy and I'm going to fix it.
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

First it to clean up the parts, Paint thinner. Scuff up the parts so the Epoxy can adhere to them. Cut a small wad off the stick and mix up the two part Epoxy.

DSC_0005.jpg

After mixing it up for a minute or so you have a just a few more before it sets up hard. Apply the JB Weld around the two broken pieces like you would wrapping bubble gum around your finger. Press and hold the pieces tight till it sets up.

On this one I mixed up another chunk of the epoxy and added more. Smooth out while it sets up. This stuff they say after it sets up you can machine it. Not for me the fix will stay as is.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

I can attest to the strength of this stuff, on my 79' Chevy I broke the turn signal arm off where the plastic meets the metal tube. Took a wad of the JB and formed around the plastic to the metal and it held. The tuck has been sold but for the 6 months I drove it, it held.

Also great to take camping in case some part on your bike or anything breaks on the trail.

Rich, The Bike Project has a ton of those.

But good fix using that putty as it can be used on lots of things.

I have a ton of them also, just a Little FYI just in case one did break and you could fix it on the fly so to speak. After buying a ton of bikes I think I have 10 extra sets of them.

Latest posts

Back