So what is it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All. I have a new project but I do not know what it is. A little tough to get parts until I figure out the puzzle. It has been repainted, paint quality is very good but still ..... Also the handle bar gips, front reflector and the seat have been replaced . When it was repainted they either painted over a sticker or removed the name plate. Serial Number is on the bottom. The first letter or number is very hard to make out with the new paint job but the remaining numbers are 16967. It has a New departure model D rear hub and the front axle also has a grease sert with a slide cover. The tires on it almost appear original, they say sport touring on them and are 26 x 1 3/8. Front fender has a top ridge. Frame is uniqe curved lines in front with no visible welds. Back brace attaces under seat with bolt, not welded.
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

This is a weird one, and obviously not all of the parts are original.

The chain guard is a Wald piece, the chain wheel is murray. The forks look like Columbia. I'm not sure about the frame. The seat, pedals, and other bits are obviously not original.

Thanks for all the ideas. I will do more research later (and check the hubs, I do not recall if they are black). I did work a bit more on the serial number the letter is a G, so it is G16967. I guess it really doesn't matter what it is. It would be nice to get the original parts for it but sometimes "outside the box" is fun too.

Looks to me kind like a sears an robuck free spirit frame but other parts are mismatched

Brake arm says new departure. Hubs are not black.

Checked the free spirt and the frame is way different.

Still no luck finding what this is, thanks for all your help.

A few more things that may or may not help. There are 3 reflectors. Front was replaced but the back two appear original. They are plastic cat eye with an aluminum back 2 1/4".
The frame is really strange. I am going to put a picture of the back brace (not certain what its called) however it is not welded on. I have yet to find a bike that looks like that.
Here are a couple more pictures.
P7090252.jpg

P7090254.jpg

Bolt on chainstays are not uncommon on pre-war bikes. At this point I would also guess Elgin on the frame. It just has lots of non-original parts swapped in.

Back