Sold it! Now i regret it!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I told myself I wouldn't sell it. But recently I spent $2000 on rebuilding my transmission, then another $200 on new tie rods and center link on my truck. Now I've discovered more stuff to fix. So I had to sell my baby "No Monkey Business" last night. It tore me up the whole day, I slept like crap last night, and it was the first thing on my mind when I woke up this morning. I put a lot of time, effort, frustration, and love into that bike. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to the hurt I felt when I watched it drive away in the back of another guys truck.

hawthorne29-1.jpg

hawthorne30.jpg

hawthorne28.jpg

:(
But look on the bright side....it gives you more reason to build another bike

You did a nice job on that bike, you'll always have that accomplishment to be proud of. It's a nice complement that someone appreciated your efforts enough to buy the bike. Once you get caught up on your bills you can start the next one. :D

Yeah, my biggest problem is I can't part with any of my bikes when they're done. I'm not a rich man, so I have too much money into bikes with nothing coming back in for other projects. It would be nice to get my hobby/sickness a little more self-supporting.

Nice looking bike though.

Mike

My motto is...I ain't married to none of em...ha ha. :lol:

I can see how you'd be feeling some grief though with as much work that you put into that bike. I think you just need to think of it in terms of looking forward to the next build.

The reality is,...it's just stuff, and it can always be replaced. :wink:

Here's how I look at it. Yes it sucks selling something you worked hard at but when someone steps up to buy your one off custom bike, they obviously think it's just as cool as you think it is. I find that rewarding.

Rat Rod said:
My motto is...I ain't married to none of em...ha ha. :lol: :

Same here. I told the wife I was selling some and she said I could not because she liked them.

I sell so I can finance more bikes. I try to make this a self funding hobby.

you gotta own the bikes; don't let them own you. there's something Zen about letting go of something you saw yourself keeping for a long time. like Steve said, it's just stuff.

Yeah...you did good to get that locally in this economy right now so I'd be a happy camper if I were you. :wink:

Unfortunately, seller's remorse is an inevitable thing, whether it be cars, motorcycles, bikes, etc., as circumstances, finances, family, and interests change.
Wait 'til you're my age and you've got several decades of that kind of experience behind you! :lol:
But, as mentioned - as hard as it is to let these things go, everything is replaceable but health, love and family. It seems a little overwhelming now, but in the big picture you'll soon see that it's a pretty small concern. :wink:
As cool as that bike was, I'm sure you've got something even cooler in you for a future build! Hang in there! 8)

I sold my Electraglide when I got married in 1989. I finally stopped dreaming about it a year ago. Thank God bikes are cheaper than Harleys. (Well, most of them are, anyway...)

Every bike build is a learning experience, Think of selling it as an opportunity to build the next one to the next level and hone your skills. My first bike looked like the welds were gum and I had to pray every time I went over railroad tracks or speed bumps....now I can lay a stack of dimes and make it look better than factory. I always say never stop learning and you'll never cease to amaze yourself.

Back