Soma Saga Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
the wholesale price on these is so reasonable i decided to quit looking for a nice used mtb frame for a fat tire, drop bar, no hurry, winter project.....

fwiw, the lights kinda wash out the actual darker cream color of the panel
DSC01932.jpg

i don't know which looks worse, a giant headtube or a huge stack of spacers :)
DSC01934.jpg

the panel is a nice touch at this price....
DSC01935.jpg

....as is the fork crown. something nicer than a unicrown to stare at while pedalling into a headwind
DSC01936.jpg

really beefy tubeset
DSC01937.jpg

my size runs 26" wheels, looks like pretty generous clearance
DSC01938.jpg

So what's the price?

bigj said:
So what's the price?

under 300, same as most surly framesets. appears to be the same build quality- what a taiwan oem steel frameset would be like if distributors still spec'd complete steel bikes.....

Dude that headtube reminds me of my cycle truck!!haha,cool frame.Are you gonna run a internal gear rear hub?Ive seen more people doing that lately.Gets rid of the loose chain,rear deraileur and junk.

bikejunkie said:
Dude that headtube reminds me of my cycle truck!!haha,cool frame.Are you gonna run a internal gear rear hub?Ive seen more people doing that lately.Gets rid of the loose chain,rear deraileur and junk.

nah, mostly gonna be just conventional mtb parts that i can fix at any shop, anywhere.

Whats this thin lip that extends by the BB drive side i've been hearing about?

Ding Ding said:
Whats this thin lip that extends by the BB drive side i've been hearing about?

i'm not getting what you mean, please elaborate :?:

12/09- maybe the old school spare spoke holder on the non-drive chainstay :?:

build is just zipping along

well here's the soma in 'mock up' mode, some wheels & tires thrown on to measure saddle/bar height, etc. must have had the camera on 'macro'..... :oops:

DSC01951.jpg

while i've had to order some stuff- shifters, brake levers, tires, cassette. i found i already had a ton of useful parts- xt v brakes, nitto bars, salsa stem, salsa seatpost, sugino crank, ultegra rear derailleur, old deerhead front derailleur, and some old xt pedals :)

DSC01955.jpg

DSC01956.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

i was originally going to build up some new wheels with some 9s xt hubs i had around but i decided i kinda liked the looks of this old bontrager bcx 2 and 3 wheelset with the slim, shiny, old deore dx hubs. i tried to ebay it a year or so ago but didn't get my $99 reserve so on went a used 9s cassette body, a little dish and they're done. a few little bits like a decent saddle (qbp is supposed to have the new/old turbos in january) and some final fit adjustments and it will be ready to roll :D

DSC01959.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

Do you run the cables from the barends underneath tape?

bigj said:
Do you run the cables from the barends underneath tape?

only part-way, they exit just before the bends begin.

Will you post a pic of the complete build? It's looking awesome! I have one coming to me next week and I'm inspired by your creation there.

415wrench said:
Will you post a pic of the complete build? It's looking awesome! I have one coming to me next week and I'm inspired by your creation there.

yeah, i'm going to rob an old turbo saddle off another bike, and as soon as it's into double digit temps i'll get some non-flourescent pics :D so, what direction are you going with yours?

I'm thinking about putting together a somewhat similar style of build, with narrower tires at first, drop bars, bar ends, cantis, a brooks saddle, perhaps a wald-type big basket or rack for commuting, fenders, etc. I have most of the stuff I need to throw it together once I face the bb and headtube...so I will post a pic in this forum when done. my height and proportions land me smack dab in the middle of the 56cm/700c and 54cm/26inch and I chose the 54cm because that's the stuff I have on hand and I have aspirations to ride this bike to a land far far away...one day...

testing, 1, 2, 3.....

well, ready for a test ride. with any luck i'll get out for one tomorrow. ready as is for the front range (st. vrain, platte river, sand creek, highline, etc.) bike trails, commuting, and backroads. with a rack and more cages it'll become my rails/trails overnighter. i may hit some of the hennepin canal trail out by you illinois folks this summer as well..... :D

DSC01984.jpg

deorman said:
:) A road bike set up for actual roads! 8) I could even put up w/the maes bend. :? At least for a while. :mrgreen:

yeah, i've always been a sucker for fat tires/drop bars. especially these big 'ol nitto mountain bars :!: it's going to take a while before i instinctively reach to where the barcons actually are, not where my brain thinks they should be :mrgreen:

nice! I just started throwin mine together, and it's looking quite similar... In the spirit of fat tires, I through on some old heavy white-walled cruiser tires for the initial build for a silliness factor before i select some quality tires. I will put up some pictures soon.

Back