Soma Saga Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
415wrench said:
nice! I just started throwin mine together, and it's looking quite similar... In the spirit of fat tires, I through on some old heavy white-walled cruiser tires for the initial build for a silliness factor before i select some quality tires. I will put up some pictures soon.

which tires have you decided on? there's more choices than ever it seems. i've been through a couple sets of bontrager 'invert' 1.5's on my atlantis they're inexpensive, ride pretty well, and i like the looks of them too. saw some nice contis come through the shop also, i think they were 1.75's.....

i didn't get the ride in i wanted, but have been out long enough for a quick f der adjust and to get my stem straight. well, it seems straight today, we'll see how it looks to me in the morning.... :?

the only negative first impression for me is the bulk of the brake levers, but i can live with it and fully suspected that would be the case- it's like having an extra centimeter of stem! if i can ever stumble onto some old xt cantis i would pop them on along with an old pair of dura-ace aero levers i have (THAT"S how a brake lever should feel in the hand!).

on a side note- this thread must get a lot of non-registered browsers, i googled 'soma saga' and this was the first (non-shopping) thing on the first page! maybe we'll get some more rat rodders out of it as well :D

Yeh those brake levers do look big, but with Vbrakes you are limited in your choices. I have those XT brakes. Have you heard anything bad about those XT brakes? I heard the pivots/bushings wear out faster but have not had any problems.

cman said:
Yeh those brake levers do look big, but with Vbrakes you are limited in your choices. I have those XT brakes. Have you heard anything bad about those XT brakes? I heard the pivots/bushings wear out faster but have not had any problems.

yeah, the other d-c v levers are pretty cheap feeling to me (they came stock on trek 520 touring bikes- never cared for them).

the original xt v's are kinda 'rattley' and can be prone to squealing. shimano made a kit with shims/spacers to tighten things up a bit. it's really just 'luck of the draw' whether or not it strikes a particular bike. i'm keeping my fingers crossed :wink:

A preliminary sketch...colors/bars/headset spacers all subject to being kicked off the team...got the older xt cantis hanging there, waiting for some love...I can't WAIT to take this thing for a spin...even with those big ole mommas wrapped up in there. got a honey b17 champion special well worn waiting for my seat post and bottom bracket and then....i'll wrap this build UP!

mmmmmmm......
49c5a389.jpg

3/4 shot of the freak in progress..
2.jpg

22168_272732694687_701529687_465793.jpg

almost complete.

22168_272732734687_701529687_465793.jpg

nitto m12 plus wald basket.

still waiting to match my front tire and get my tubus cosmo rear rack to complete this stage...it's at a 2-5 day trip stage at this point.

Bendix said:
..........if i can ever stumble onto some old xt cantis i would pop them on along with an old pair of dura-ace aero levers i have (THAT"S how a brake lever should feel in the hand!)........

ha! traded for some xt cantis the other day :D what a difference! looks better, feels better, it's a keeper!

DSC01992.jpg

DSC01993.jpg

DSC01991.jpg

quoting yourself in your own post, is that like talking to yourself AND answering......?... :?

Back