Some help on a seat recover

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am recovering 2 old springer seats, one with double pans, one with only one. I did one before trying different adhesives, but ended up using a hot glue gun on the edges. Nothing else I tried had an instant bond. I have som 3M spray adhesive that is a medium hold, was afraid to try the high strength used for vinyl tops. What is the best adhesive to get a good, instant bond on the pan to the fabric that will hold. Thanks

i use 3m super 90 spray adhesive. spray it on the fabric and the pan including the edges. let it tack for a minute the put the fabric on pulling it tight. you will need many little relief cuts to get a smooth edge. you can go back with a paint brush and spread some spray adhesive on the edges where you need it. hope this helps. good luck

I use common contact cement from the hardware store. Buy a small bottle as it's about right for one seat and the stuff goes bad quickly once it's been opened and used. Gary

Thanks for the info, I think the problem I am running into is I used 2 inch memory foam on my first seat to make it softer,and had to really stretch the material to get it to look good on top. I wanted to have some ability to move the material around and not make a mess of the seat pan. The next seat will be with a heavier vinyl and thinner foam, but I wanted to try different adhesives. My only experience with contact cement is with formica and once it touches thats whereit is going to stay.

Latest posts

Back