Some ones fathers old pre war Moto bike ..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The former owner told me this was his fathers bike back in the day .. It needs some love so Im not sure what will happen to this one.( I just threw it together for a quick photo. ) (The fork tube is nice & straight but there are no bearings or hardware for the fork ) With the exception of the truss rod bracket . I wish there was more of the original green & red paint on the bike. :20: Im not sure what brand this is? There is no badge :headbang: I have a guess or two if anyone knows for sure please feel free to let me know .. Thank you for any possible help.

DSC04011_zps79dba21e.jpg

DSC04015_zpsef697ad7.jpg

DSC04024_zpsc9b71c4b.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, I'm not the best with motobike era IDs, but nobody has chimed in. How about mid-late 20s Schwinn-built Excelsior? I've seen that color scheme on Schwinn products of the 20s, then there's the wide square badge ghost a-la the square Excelsior badge. Forks look Schwinn-ish as well.

To take my wild hypothesis further, I reckon the secondary stamping on the BB was done by a police department that originally owned the bicycle.. possibly Lowell PD?

What were your thoughts?

To take my wild hypothesis further, I reckon the secondary stamping on the BB was done by a police department that originally owned the bicycle.. possibly Lowell PD? What were your thoughts?

Or, it was registered by the LPD for a resident. Would the LPD have 891 bikes? Gary

Alright, I'm not the best with motobike era IDs, but nobody has chimed in. How about mid-late 20s Schwinn-built Excelsior? I've seen that color scheme on Schwinn products of the 20s, then there's the wide square badge ghost a-la the square Excelsior badge. Forks look Schwinn-ish as well.

To take my wild hypothesis further, I reckon the secondary stamping on the BB was done by a police department that originally owned the bicycle.. possibly Lowell PD?

What were your thoughts?

You & I are on the same page with this ..I was told it was a Schwinn by the family but most familys think dads old bike was a schwinn lol .. The police Dept theroy is something I was wondering about my self .. Also the fork tube takes a smaller size bearing ( that I dont have ) than a standard Columbia type bearing that I tried ( Any thoughts about the fork bearing being smaller ).. Thank you for your help.

You're right, every old bike is a Schwinn to those not in the know. But even a broken watch is right twice a day and I'm leaning in that direction.

As far as the bearing cage goes, they were relatively standardized. There are a couple different sizes through the years, though. Prewar ballooners seem to have a slightly wider cage with larger ball bearings. You can always assemble it with loose bearings. Just stick a bunch of 5/32 or so balls in the grease pool.

Latest posts

Back