Some possible post war frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey whats up guys,
I picked up some frames today off some guy on CL. After a TON of haggling I picked them up at a very reasonable price. Could you guys help shed some light on them please? Like maybe shoot me some numbers on how much one might want to pay for one?? My plan is to flip one and build up the other :D
One of them I feel is a pre war frame, it's a CWC Hiawatha, It has a big C with a small w stamped inside of it, and the SER# appears to be CWC-ish

P1060572.jpg

P1060575.jpg

P1060579.jpg

P1060571.jpg

The second bike I feel is a a lot newer than the first. Maybe 50's?? possibly 40's. I have never seen or heard of this type of bike, I just really liked how large the headbadge was.

P1060553.jpg

P1060569.jpg

P1060566.jpg

P1060559.jpg

Re: Some possible pre war frames

The second one is Murray built. They were badged a number of different names such as JC Higgins, firestone and mercury.

The first one is a Cleveland Welding frame. A lot of people really like those. Gary

The Cleveland Welding built Hiawatha is also a postwar frame and dates between 1947 and 1949, probably toward the earlier end of that period.

tnt1 said:
Whats the differance between pre war and post?

Regarding the Cleveland Welding frame, there are many. In this specific case, this style straight-bar frame was not developed until after the War and it entered production in late 1946 or 1947. This is about the same time that CWC started branding their frames with the Cw stamp at the end of the serial number.

Thank you so much for all of the info guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. :lol: Based off of my answers I guess I should change the title. I thought that the Hiawatha was pre-war, oh well. I tried searching with no luck, could anyone possibly date the Murray for me?

chepe13 said:
Thank you so much for all of the info guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. :lol: Based off of my answers I guess I should change the title. I thought that the Hiawatha was pre-war, oh well. I tried searching with no luck, could anyone possibly date the Murray for me?

I beleive they only made Firestone bikes from the late 40s-early 50s. Murray's serial #'s are convoluted and somewhat under debate. -Adam

Roughly the Firestone frame can be dated between 1947 and 1953 because 1947 is approximately when Murray-Ohio went to fish hook rear drops and after about 1953 the changed the frame to use a larger diameter seatpost.

I have been working on decoding M-O serial numbers but I have a ways to go. M-O also personalized the stampings for many of the companies they built for so Firestone numbers do not look like J.C. Higgins numbers (although the frame id virtually identical on the standard models.)

If you don’t mind reiterating the numbers on this frame I’ll ad them to the data base so at some point it may be easy to decode them.

I see:

9A3

179-8 20x28

Please correct me if that is wrong.

Thanks

That Murray built Firestone looks very similar to mine. The only difference being that mine has rear entry dropouts with no adjustment screws. Mine was estimated to be a 46-47 from Phil.

rms37 said:
Roughly the Firestone frame can be dated between 1947 and 1953 because 1947 is approximately when Murray-Ohio went to fish hook rear drops and after about 1953 the changed the frame to use a larger diameter seatpost.

I have been working on decoding M-O serial numbers but I have a ways to go. M-O also personalized the stampings for many of the companies they built for so Firestone numbers do not look like J.C. Higgins numbers (although the frame id virtually identical on the standard models.)

If you don’t mind reiterating the numbers on this frame I’ll ad them to the data base so at some point it may be easy to decode them.

I see:

9A3

179-8 20x28

Please correct me if that is wrong.

Thanks
That is correct sir.

Latest posts

Back