Some stuff of the new to me variety

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post some pics of some of my latest finds and projects...

This is a really really nice Hawthorne... Super clean unmolested bike. Everything is just in super shape.. I picked it up on Craigslist for $300 which without seeing it I thought was a bit much... But its so freakin nice. From the carlisle lightning darts that look brand new to the Micky Mouse bell and the 1957 license still hangin on the sucker... Just a super clean bike.

2897317590_f22e0978e7.jpg

2896476189_0ebd48f462.jpg

2897317896_ccbf8d590a.jpg

This is the Hawthorne Flyar with a swap meet springer to replace the froze/tweeked one. Some cool red kickers and stripped of the fenders. The 2 speed rear end is giving me fits though and needs some love to be a good rider..
2896474503_18f9697a71.jpg

And a Monark Super Deluxe I bought at the swap in Portland early in the month.. It has some problems but is a beautiful bike. Its one of the bikes that was on my list of someday I'll have one... Its got the crash bar tank and of course the shroud and the cheese grater rack I need the reflector for the back (the housing is there) and a lens for the train
2897316340_e9ddb225ea.jpg

And this is a Worksman 26" bike turned trike that Im not sure about yet. It has a 24" rat trap springer fork and a 24" wheel off a new Stingray. The rear wheels are 4" wide and the tires 24 X 4.25" I have a new Sturmey Archer 3 speed trike kit for it... I think it looks cool and am curious to see how it rides but dont feel real good about how much freakin money Ive spent on the thing... the wheels and tires cost a small fortune and the rear end and three speed puts the parts up around $600 + shipping ( that figurin the bike and front end have zero value).... So anyway.. I guess what Im saying is its sure not $600 cool to me yet... And im not sure it will ever get there... Anyone wanna buy it? Make you a heck of a deal
2897317182_dac068360d.jpg

Looks like a really nice bike - Is the fork bent though? Looks like it in the pic.

Joe

MonsterMetal said:

Nice haul! I'm guessing if the springer on the hawthorne is bent that Monster has the tools to fix it :mrgreen:

It does look bent, Ive spent quite a bit of time looking it over... I have three of these front ends and every one is the same. I think that they took a base model fork and pushed the arms back and then welded the "springer" lower end on.. If the fork was in its normal shape it would put the wheel another couple of inches forward fowling up the trail. I dont know this for fact.. its just a theory. Anyway I am pretty confident that since I have three that match perfectly that that's the way they are suppose to be.

Ya know looking at the picture I posted it makes it look worse than it really is....

Three diffrent front ends on three of basicly the same period Hawthorne tank bikes.... I dont know what the dates are for the three bikes But I would guess they span from the mid 30's (the green one) to the late 40's (red) They are the "same" model bike but all three have vastly diffrent frames and styles. The Hawthorn Flyer (the green one) is by far my favorite. It has a higher back bone, the drop outs are rear facing with adjustment bolts and the upper rear stays have more of a "Hump" to them...
2897037154_0977215ae0.jpg

A brief history of Hawthorne badges! Oval brass badge w/equal sized M over W, early 30s thru 35. Next the 'classic' winged H brass badge, with 'WARDS' over, and 'HAWTHORNE' under the big H. They used this one at least thru 42, 46-47 may have used it also, catalog pics aren't quite clear. 1948-49 saw the short lived aluminum winged H, with 'HAWTHORNE' over the H. 1950 introduced the blue and red 'M/W crest' badge. Used thru at least 1960. PS, sweeeeeet rides! :shock: ~Adam

Back