Son's 1st rat rod build... a '62 Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 14 yr old boy Mike fell in love & bought a 62 Typhoon for $60 at the Links & Kinks bike show near Dayton last summer. It was the first bike he bought himself & he couldn't wait to take it apart & fix it up! In fact we took it apart so fast (that night) that we forgot to take before pics! Funny, he couldn't sleep for the next few nights thinking about what he was going to do with the bike. Who hasn't done that? Lol

It had a decent spray bomb job over the original blue paint but he wanted to give it his own fresh coat. I taught him how to prep the frame for paint, and then a quick course on how to spray paint. I think he did a great job for his 1st paint job! That's him prepping the frame.

I helped him out with some parts I had laying around & bought a few for him too (couldn't resist helping fuel the love of the build).

Parts include: Al's bars, coke grips, Worksman rear wheel, new front wheel, Quick Brick tires, new chain, BMX pedals, Slowriderz layback post & a Felt cruiser saddle. Everything else original.

It's a smooth & quiet ride. I tried to trade one of my bikes for it & he said never! Haha! Thinks he's going to take it to college with him someday. It was an awesome project. Now my 11 yr old daughter wants to do a build lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413511378.791215.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413511393.608737.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413511405.238956.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413511421.877433.jpg

Last edited:
The bike looks great! Black on black works. It's a one year bike by the way, the Typhoon went to a cantilever frame after it's first year in 62. Previous models had that twin bar frame earlier.

I like the simplicity of it, he'll have the raddest bike on the block. Tell him I say awesome job..

-J Wolf

looks great, i dig the "stealth" look!!! 14 yo? what do you feed him, he's build like a grown man already!!!

Back