Sorry, no pics. What I saw hanging in the garage (Pics now!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to an older gentleman while at work. My job takes me to many different houses. I saw several bikes hanging in his garage and yesterday the door was open. So i walk in and talk to him for a few minutes and say I like the old bikes, may I look? he says sure! The first one that catches my eye is a Schwinn bantam girlie bike. OK, thats nice. a little further in I see an orange varsity. I look at it and he comments that he payed a lot for that when he bought it new. Then....do I see what I think I do?.......yup...a Purple Stingray! In wonderful condition. I ask if its for sale and he replies he'll have to ask his son. He says he tried to sell them at a yard sell years ago and nobody wanted them, now they are content leaving them hang. He asked what I'd offer. Now I hate that cause you dunno if they know what they are worth. I'm really tight for the next few months, so I make a high 2 digit offer. And thats were it stands. Of course I'm hoping for him to see me next week and say take it. Can you imagine...a vintage (like a 70) male Stingray in purple, indoor stored all its life?? Wonder how long before I get an answer?

Re: Sorry, no pics. What I saw hanging in the garage

Still no word if I'm able to acquire or not. I walked in the garage today and nobody was there. I took a quick crappy pic with the phone. Whether I get this or not, its nice to know they are still out there in good condition!

Stingray.jpg

KOOL!!

Holy Schmokes! I'm no expert here, but that kinda looks like it has a 2-speed kickback. The front caliper brake would confirm that. That would make it '69 or earlier for sure. Good luck on this; it's a VERY desirable 'Ray, in a VERY desirable color. :D

It indeed has the 2 speed hub that was mentioned. Sorry, my camera is acting up and won't focus for nothin. I saw the owner today and he offered it to me for....well....less than three figures!!!! He had an idea it was something special, but he seemed to like how I keep a few nice older bikes in ridable condition. The number on the left dropout is HC70243. If anyone can offer any info I'd apreciate it. Like the year, whats missing (I know the grips and rear tire aren't orig), and whats special. O....most importantly......WHERE DO I GET A SLICK!!!!!!!

Stingrayhub.jpg

actually you didn't. the purple ones are nothing but trouble. the led levels in the paint are so toxic, just sitting on the bike can cause instant heart failure.

better send it my way for decontamination/disposal. :)

Wow, the suspense was killing me, I can just imagine how you felt waiting to see how it panned out. Gotta like a story with a happy ending. Cheers.

Thanks guys! I have a few questions. Should this have a front fender? And how does this 2 speed work??

back peddle alittle to change gears and alot to brake. :)

i believe thats how they work.
all the 2 speeds i have use hand brakes, no coaster.

Thanks. I may try riding it and see. Although I'm a little leary of riding on 40 year old tubes. Can I bug you with another question? Do ordinary 20" tubes fit the odd size Schwinn wheels?

yeah, no worries.

just for the record (in a crunch) i've stretch 24" tubes to fit 26" wheels. i've inflated 1.75 to 2.125 tubes to fit 3" tires. rubber is pretty forgiving.
my motorized boardtracker is currently running on 1960's tubes and tires.
inflate those tires and take it for a spin.
:wink:

Back