Spaceliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Just got this one off CL.
Is there a parental block for Craigslist? I'm having trouble controlling myself.;)
177-1387042147-a0f1e2300215d3c0bf1b268e17c501ba.jpg

Nice one! That looks a lot like the Murray Ranger one that I had earlier this year. With obvious light and rack differences, but still similar.

Thats an awesome score! Begrudgingly; I sold a '63? Sears badged ladies Fliteliner this summer. These bike have some of the best lines out there for sure!

sent from planet earth

Girls really know how to take care of there stuff!

I took the headlight and tail light assemblies apart and there is no sign what so ever of rust from leaky batteries!

I'm waiting until I clean everything up before taking any pictures.

If you want to sell those pedal I would be interested!

I'll make a mental note.
I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do with this one. I have considered parting it out, but it's a pretty cool bike as is, so I might just freshen it up and keep it 'as is' for my wife or daughter to ride. Even the original 'Sears Allstate' tires are still usable!
I also have an idea for a gender reassignment, so I'll probably take my time on deciding anything.

Nice! I just bought a nice girls Flightliner for my wife. But it's still in the shipping box while I take care of other projects first.

It would be a real shame to part that one out. That's in great shape! Someone will want and appreciate it if your wife or daughter won't.

Other than cleaning and lubing, I would not be able to bring myself to touching it. Great find!

Other than cleaning and lubing, I would not be able to bring myself to touching it. Great find!
Does anyone have advise on cleaning these chrome frames? With the clear coat over the chrome, I'm thinking that it makes more sense to compound and wax than to use something like chrome cleaner.

Personally I take the clear coat off, then it shines like a b*tch. I found clear coat stripper at autozone...stuff burns if you get it on you, but makes the job real easy.

The Spaceliner clearcoat is pretty tough. It took me a while to scrape and scrub it off of Flexy with razor blades, steel wool, and scotchbrite pads.

Does anyone have advise on cleaning these chrome frames? With the clear coat over the chrome, I'm thinking that it makes more sense to compound and wax than to use something like chrome cleaner.

The factory applied clear coat does fox (become cloudy) with age. Also there would be knicks in the clear coat that show rust spots.
All this rust comes off with a razorblade scrapping. The removal of the clearcoat is a heck of a chore but, the end result is amazing.
I have tirelessly searched for the right tools to do this scrapping and to no avail finding the corrected curved blades. I did pick up a Exacto type carving kit from Harbor freight that worked well.
I have tried strippers and found it to not do very well. I have not used the product mentioned above (clear coat stripper). I have tried heating the frame with a torch, as the heat does does not damage the chrome, and it helped but, I only used it in the tight areas.
I did make a mistake on one of the scrapping of a chromed frame last year and that was trying to use a scotch pad to remove the coating....don't use the green course pads, it will damage the chrome. The grey fine course pads were a help though. That process of rubbing the coating only foxed it well enough to show the areas that the blade did not remove.

The clear coating is a pain staking removal process for sure but, well worth the effort.
Re clear coating is another matter. I understand that the process to do it and the end result is not appealing.
But, if someone has mastered the reapplication of the coating, I'd like to hear about it.

Good luck with the project. There is nothing like a shiny chromed frame brought back to life after 50 years!!

Here is a post I started on the Cabe last year on my removal of the clear coat on my 65 Astro Flites.

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?23111-0000-steel-wool-on-chrome-frames-help&highlight=chrome clearcoat

Latest posts

Back