sparkplug score!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allright, well it ain't groundshaking or on two wheels (yet) but atleast one of them is pre-war.
482924_339591356146553_924070659_n.jpg

My dad found a toolbox in the stuff we got at the last big auction sale we went to, and while he was digging in there he found a old snuff tin full of lathe bits and six ancient spark plugs. These two were still in their orrigonal boxes, but the boxes were shot :(

The little champion is a j8, still has zap to it, and the big one on the right hasn't ever been used, the electrode stub has zero wear on it. The coolest thing about the big one is that it says "small engine" right on the insulator, and I'm planning on using it in my little briggs&stratton 6s. The other three plugs are in a bit worse shape, two AC's and another champion. And then there was a huge, ancient edison plug that my dad sniped away and has hidden it somewhere.

And yes, I did just type a whole two paragraph's about some spark plugs. That goes to show how severe my cabin fever is, from the -43 below zero (that's with wind chill) and my shop door is completly frozen shut.

Haha, yes doors can get heavy when your rounding corners. Sometimes to coax the volkswagen into starting we need to throw an old electric blanket over the engine. Or just aim the big nipco heater at it for a while.

And the drop off of demand prolly was a slap in the face to most plug company's. But the old plugs just look so darn cool :mrgreen:

Having to drive to work holding your door shut because the latch is frozen is one of the saddest stories I've ever heard! :lol: :lol:

Peatbog said:
Spark plugs are cool. The cold isn't near that cold here (it is 15 right now), but today my car door was froze and would not latch, so I drove to work holding the door closed the whole way there. Funny how heavy those doors are when taking right turns.

Imagine being a spark plug manufacturer when people went from having to change their plugs every 5000 miles or so to having them okay to 100,000 miles. Man, that would cut into your sales.

so that's why they now charge about 40 times as much for them :!:

Think of the bright side at least you don't drive an international pickup like I used to, those doors weigh as much as a smart car.

hmmm, don't ask ratrod what his afternoon temp was here today
your tears will freeze before they hit the ground! :D

love the plug pictures. hate to think of all the old ones I threw away. :(

uneasy rider said:
Peatbog said:
Spark plugs are cool. The cold isn't near that cold here (it is 15 right now), but today my car door was froze and would not latch, so I drove to work holding the door closed the whole way there. Funny how heavy those doors are when taking right turns.

Imagine being a spark plug manufacturer when people went from having to change their plugs every 5000 miles or so to having them okay to 100,000 miles. Man, that would cut into your sales.

so that's why they now charge about 40 times as much for them :!:

Thats OK cause they just Jacked up the prices..Plugs are a small fourtune now days..!

Points are annoying! I messed with the points on my old briggs for six days, no spark. Replaced everything, reset to factory, no spark. So, I said to hec with it and cnverted it to good ol' briggs magnetron ignition.

I remember doing points in my International truck. Not fun. I eventually ended up swapping the engine to a diesel after the gas one developed a rod knock so that solved my problem all together.

Points were easy to work on back in the day..even Mallory DUAL POINTS DISTRIBUTOR'S unlike todays computers..If I was stuck on a island I would rather have points then a computer..LOL

Latest posts

Back