Speaking of bearings, any idea what's missing?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a parts bike at the local Goodwill store and I noticed that the rear wheel was all wobbley when I rolled it out to the car.

I took the wheel off today and on the cassette side of the wheel the axel was there and also something that looked like a bent up washer, but nothing that looked like a bearing. The hole that the axel ran through was larger than the nut on the axel, which tells me that something must be missing.

Can one of you repair gurus take a look at the pictures below and tell me what is missing? I don't know if it should have some type of ball brearing setup like the other side has, or some special type of bearing, or maybe a large washer or what.

Hopefully it's something simple, and something I can get a replacement for from one of the local bike shops.

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Thanks for the info xddorox. I hate to pull one of my other bikes apart, but I guess I need to do that to see what the heck the missing stuff looks like.

Hopefully it's something I can get fairly easily (and cheaply) at the local bike shop.

Otherwise, I will just keep what's there for parts since it was just a parts bike anyway. It may soon become a spare rim, spare spokes, spare cassette, etc., haha.

If anyone happens to have pictures of the parts that are missing from my wheel - the bearing, cap, etc., or of a cassette type wheel pulled apart, would you mind posting them so I can get an idea of what all is there and how it goes together.

I know that xddorox has an article on his blog about lubricating bearings and it has a shot of a tool you need to remove the cassette, but the wheel itself is still together in the picture so I can't see what the parts look like apart.

Thanks.

Back