Specs on 1" head tube thread..?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey guys,

This one might be a long shot. I'm modeling the Schwinn style springer fork in Solidworks 2011 and I'm ready to cut some thread on my headtube. The only problem is, I have no specs on the thread and I haven't had any luck searching the interwebs :( Sheldon Brown's site says it is 24 tpi, but that is all I have been able to find...

Is there anybody out there who can tell me more about the thread on American 1" threaded head tubes?

You may be asking for too much. For 3D solid modeling you do not need to get into the thread cutting details. A simple thread profile based on 1/24 with and angle of 60 degrees will have you in the ball park. Solidworks should have 24tpi thread date in it but it will be for a different diameter. don't worry, use this data as it is the same thread profile. What you really need is a "Machinery's Handbook" and then you can do the math to get the profile correct. That said you would be overdoing it, just complicating the profile sketch and using more regeneration time.

Some standard rules for CAD modeling;
Do Not Model Threads! This is only a dog and pony show. Use cosmetic threads or even better just call-outs. CNC cutters do not need modeled threads, this only complicates the CAM process. Generally threads are modeled with the simple formula above and used for graphic representations and then suppressed.
Do Not Show Cut Threads on drawings. This just turns into a blob of black ink, used cosmetic threads on drawings.
When to use cut threads in a model: They are only used for molded threads, generally plastic parts that cannot have second operation thread cutting. The threads must be modeled so that the mold can be cut with them in it.

Hunt around the site some examples of my 3D modeling in Pro-Engineer and SolidWorks

Latest posts

Back