Speedometer Install

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have checked the boards here and the net and can't seem to find instruction on how to install the old style speedometer. I am only having issues with the hub part. Are there any good photos out there of how it should go on or an instruction manual? This is a cheap "new" replica style made in China.

I have one of those same speedos. I don't have photos, but the biggest concern is making sure the bottom part on the wheel rotates freely. I slid the cable out and greased it, along with the bottom rotating part. I then made sure I was mounting it on the correct side of the wheel. Rotate the bottom part to make sure the needle goes up in speed. They included a washer or two with the speedo, but you may or may not need them. With the wheel off, place the bottom part of the speedo up against it. It should not contact the spokes or hub, just the axle and adjuster that doesn't move. Put a washer in between for spacing until it doesn't make contact with the spokes. The washer must be the right diameter to fit in the speedo housing without contacting the plastic cover. On my bike, I needed 2 washers. Only the arm should contact the moving part of the wheel. Tighten the wheel down and check for free motion of the speedo. It may need tweaking to get it just right. If the forks aren't smooth up against the outside of the housing, it may need a washer in between there too. If it still doesn't work right, I'll take a few pics and post them up.

Sorry about dropping the ball. Pics tomorrow I hope. Here's instructions someone wrote on amazon.

1. Attach the speedometer with the large black plastic screw to the metal mounting bracket by aligning it with the two indentations. Make sure the speedometer is not upside down. (Do not remove the two screws at the bottom of the speedometer)
2. Then attach the speedometer with mounting bracket attached to the middle RIGHT side of your handlebar just right of the stem.
3. Loosen your front wheel, unscrew the quick lease, insert the grey round plastic part INSIDE the suspension forks on the RIGHT side by using the two supplied washers. The metal bracket attached to the round plastic part faces towards the spokes. Reattach the front wheel.
4. Attach the cable to the speedometer (marked "UP" on the cable) and into the grey round plastic part now attached to the front wheel at the RIGHT side inside the brackets. The cable is just long enough to reach from the speedometer to the plastic part attached to the front wheel in a straight line down.

I can't find a speedometer anywhere for a picture.

Reading all the reviews on this speedo, it seems no one got instructions for it, and some didn't work at all. I would connect the cable and turn it by hand to make sure it works in the first place. That also lets you know which way it turns to go the right way. From there, it's just a spacing job on the wheel.

so I got it installed... it seems to work as an odometer... but the MPH / RPH are way way off... it is pegged all the way around to the bottom so I am not sure what that is measuring...the odometer part clocked me at like .4 of a mile when I went up the street and back... I will have to take it for a measure mile and see how close it is... does anyone know if the speed / rph is ever accurate?

Originals come in different versions for different size wheels. Does the needle move upward with forward motion? If not, you may have the drive on the wrong side. Or maybe it's a piece of beep. :roll:

One of the reviews I read on that says they took it apart and lubed all the moving parts and it worked, but also said everything was cheaply made.

so I took it for a .5 mile test ride and the odom clocked it right on... so that seems to work... now just the speed / rpms are not correct... I will pull it apart and see if some lube will help things out...

Back