Spitfire that thinks it's a Wasp

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's the link to Fresh Finds to show what I started with.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51013
From some research, it looks like a Spitfire with a Wasp chain guard. I already have a Panther II with S-7s, so I wanted to do something different here. I ditched the S-7s and slipped on some S-2s w/26x2.125 tires.

IMG_0088 by LowpowerD, on Flickr

They fit and I like the look. They're staying. Now I need to find a 1/2" pitch cog for the back.
I'm getting a better seat and might swap out the stem for a forged one.

IMG_0089 by LowpowerD, on Flickr

Looks like the previous owner spent their insurance check on something other than dent repair!

Thanks for the compliment. I wish the stem had AS bolts, but those are spendy. So far I'm just bolting on parts that I already had laying around. This is one of the few bikes I have with OG paint, so it's staying how it is.

I like your style.
I'm a 26" S2 rear wheel short of getting this similarly situated:

schwinn1955as-is.jpg

Hey Section 8, I like the green. It looks like it's going to clean up nicely.

Anyhow, on with the show...

IMG_0099 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
A previous owner had painted the back rim with grey primer then flat black. Some acetone and elbow grease took care of that. I also found an old Gulco reflector for the back. I was able to convert the rear hub to 1/2" pitch chain by way of a newer driver. Thanks udallcustombikes!

IMG_0101 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
Added this Messinger three spring saddle the I bought from SimpleMan.

I gently tapped a few of the major dents out of the back fender with a ball peen. It actually turned out better then I thought it would.
I took it for a short run today. It's a little stiffer than I'd like. I have already worked over the hubs and the chain, so I can rule them out. Looks like I'm going to have to blow apart the bottom bracket.

Finally got around to knocking the bottom bracket apart. Does this look like a problem to any of you?

IMG_0108 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
Luckily I happen to have some new bearings and retainers in the parts stash.

Back