Springer fork advice needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been putting together old cars for the last 20 years but I'm pretty new to bicycle stuff so please forgive my questions if they're stupid.

I've got a 50 some-year-old Coast King frame I'm trying to turn back into a bicycle. I'd like to put a springer type front fork on the bike. I'm curious about interchangability of forks on early bikes- especially between various brands and makers. I know the Coast Kings were made by Ross who in turn may have been made my the Chain bicycle company but there isn't a whole lot of information out there that I've been able to find.

Here's what I've currently got that I'd like to replace with a springer-style fork.

IMG_6212_edited-1.jpg

The head tube portion of the frame is 6.5" long.

I'm wondering what makes of springer forks I could be considering as possible donors?
Are these fairly universal as long as they are a 1 " diameter steerer tube and the steerer tube is long enough to extend up through the head tube with threads exposed?

I've seen some new ones on Ebay for $39 or $49 bucks. Are they just junk? I'd prefer to go with something vintage if I have options and it's possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

In most cases, springers from other MEN'S bikes will swap right on to that frame. You need to measure the steerer from the bottom of the crown race (the little ring that the bearings ride on) to the top of the threads.

Then just make sure to find a springer fork with the same length (or longer, I can cut and thread it for you) steerer tube.

Stay away from the cheap repop forks though. You won't like them.

Or just make one with the fork you have. I have plenty of different springs for you to try. The old forks were not really engineered to be anything special.

Alienbaby17 said:
I've been putting together old cars for the last 20 years but I'm pretty new to bicycle stuff so please forgive my questions if they're stupid
a wise old man once told me " the only stupid question is the one you dont ask". nobody here will make fun of you for a "stupid" question (believe me, ive had a few), and noone wants to see you goof up cause you didnt ask. :wink:

Latest posts

Back