Springer Fork HOWTO?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got the old fork off by removing the top nut, but I'm confused with the bottom of the new fork. I took the little "ring" bearing thing off of the bottom of my old fork, but it just seems to sit sloppily on the bottom of the new fork.

I'm talking about the bearing that looks like a ring with a bunch of ball bearings in it that came off of the old fork.

Are there any HOWTO/DIY articles on this? I can find plenty of articles on making springer forks, but none on installing a pre-built one.

you need to get this ring thing (crown race) off the old one and onto the New one.

crown-race.jpg

Hopefully the springer fork came with a lower bearing race already installed. If it didn't , then, as posted above, you will need to install one. Your old one may or may not fit. The steer tube diameter may be different. Assuming that you have located and installed the lower bearing race: 1)the race should be a decent fit i.e. it should not be too big and have wiggle room 2)once the race is installed, the bearings may seem to sit on it in a sloppy fashion until it is all into the headset. The best way is to install the bearings into the headset first. Then place to fork steer tube (with lower race installed) into the headtube. You may have to wiggle it around a little, but everything should kind of "seat" into place. Then you will be able to place the top bearings in and thread on the upper race. You might want to do a dry fit without all of the grease, then once you are sure it all fits, pull it apart and do it all again with lots of grease involved. Also a pic of the sloppy situation might help us all get a handle on what is going on exactly.

no problems, I just banged the crown off of the old tube with a crescent wrench and then banged it onto the new tube. that's what I was missing ;)

This thread helped me out. I'm swapping out the forks on my Monark for a set of bent springer forks for that rat rod look and I wasn't sure about the bottom of the steering tube assembly to the neck.

Back