Springer fork truss rods question(s)..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...don't worry; I only have three :mrgreen: :

I have a Springer fork from a Krate, and the truss rods are evenly bent.

1. What's the best way to bend them back to straight? The forks themselves are fine.

2. Can I remove the rods one at a time, and not remove the whole fork?

3.Can I carefully put them in a vise and bend them straight with a pipe?

I have no access to benders.

Since it is tubing you will have a hard time getting them perfectly straight again. You can remove them one at a time without removing the fork. The best way to straighten them is to find a big spring about a foot long that just fits over the rods. This may be hard as the ends of the truss rods are crimped larger. Anyway, if you can find a spring that will fit the rod you can bend it back like you want. The spring will keep the rod from getting any kinks when you bend it. Gary

I just wanted to follow up on this .

I used the method you described; and just like you said,it was almost impossible to get them perfectly straight.

They're close enough for me,enough to where they don't stick out from the rest. As a matter of fact; they look as though they've been on the bike since day one-the wear-and-tear on the forks themselves matches the rest of it perfectly, if that makes sense.

Back