Springer not fitting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to install a new springer on a Schwinn Jaguar. The fork tube is way to long.
There is almost an inch without threads above the head tube.

Below are two pictures of what I've got.

Does anyone have a suggestion to work around this?

Thanks!!!
fork1.jpg

fork2.jpg

Well ,there is just one thing you could do and that will be Placing a spacer in betweenThe gap that has been done before around here I will tried to look for it and post on here as soon as I find it !

I think there would be a problem if the post was shorter.
I don't think thespring collar soulfully up anymore. I could be wrong

The spacer idea my be the ticket.

I have done it. I cut the steerer tube and then shortened the forks/trusses at the top and re-driled them, like this...

yours may be TOO long tho.. :roll:

fork1.jpg

I'll take a look at that.

FYI
I didn't type "soulfully" earlier, it was the stupid autocorrect on my phone.

I have some threadless spacers from another project. I'll give that a try tonight.

Man I don't want to pee on your parade any more than what's already been done, but the other posters are correct.
The cheapest and by FAR the easiest is to add the spacers. Downside, the project you put so much effort into won't look good.

If you simply cut and re-thread the steerer you've only solved about 1/3 of the problem, the geometry of the fork legs and springer mechanism will be TOTALLY whacked, unusable.

You can also buy the correct springer fork for your application off-the-shelf, the downside is the darned thing costs 3 times as much and it's essentially the same fork with a shorter steerer and the correct geometry on the other pieces. (This is HUGELY frustrating)

Or, you can do as Scrumblero suggested and fix the geometry of the springer with careful cutting and drilling of the entire fork. This would be my recommendation also. I've done it myself and even though I devoted a solid two hours to it, testing the measurements, and re-testing and re-measuring, it worked out VERY well.

One simple improvement to these springer forks would instantly improve the compatibility of the forks to a MUCH wider range of applications. It's that thick chromed top bracket where the springer bolt mounts to that messes up the whole works because of its fixed angle. A simple but sturdy hinging mechanism on it would allow the thing to work out-of-the-box on so many more projects.

I have bent the spring mounting collar and added spacer between the upper race and top nut to improve fit, but that's too much distance. The redrilling idea seems the most likely, you can get a long threaded section steer tube here-
Markm said:
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/parts/thumbnails/511500b.jpg
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/partsmai ... 0accessory

Thanks.
I already ordered a replacement, and should have it Wednesday.
Hopefully it will work.

Back