Sprocket help..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the sprocket that came on my cruiser is tripe. The chrome was never chromey to begin with and over years of neglect it has, surprisingly, not got any better. I thought I would just grab a new one, second hand one piece sprocket will be easy to find! Nope. Stuck again..

I have however found a few nice looking sprockets which come attached to square taper cranks off old town bikes. My question is double barreled. Firstly what is a more authentic beach cruiser crank setup? One piece or cottered? And secondly will a cottered sprocket fit a one piece crank and vice versa?

Cheers

Basically every cruiser made in the states from the 1930s through to present day (excepting a few26" BMX cruisers with 3piece crans) had a OPC as standard equipment. I've noticed that some popular-in-the-UK BMX sprockets (eg, Renthals, which are made in the UK) have the proper-sized 15/16" (23.8mm) bore for a OPC, and you'll use a "hat" spacer to trim it down to 22mm or 19mm for typical BMX cranks. Here's some quick'n'dirty searches:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...nkw=one+piece+sprocket&_sacat=57262&_from=R40

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...nwheel&_nkw=one+piece+chainwheel&_sacat=57262

These, of course will mostly have an old-school BMX look to them. I don't know what int'l shipping is like on a very flat package hat's maybe 8" square, but you might see if any of us Yanks will facilitate an old Schwinn or Wald sprocket if you foot the shipping expense....

PS- most cottered sprockets are attached to the crankarm. In some cases, the cottered crankset will have a n attached spider, with 5-bolt chairings that attach to the spider. Similaly, it is possible to buy a spider (or, if you're a retro bmx guy, a powerdisc) that will attach to the OPC just like a sprocket would, andthese tend to be 110mm 5 bolt patterns, with many powerdiscs having ten holes, thus allowing for either 110mm or 130mm chainrings to be fitted.

Back