sprocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first rat rod a 80's huffy and i wanted to put a three piece crank on it but i dont know what size sprocket to put on it

yeah i have a 45 tooth sprocket right now. I was wondering how small of a sprocket i could go? i was on chain gang lowriders and it said if u have a beach cruiser u could go to a 36 tooth

A 36 w/a normal sprocket in back would be great ON the beach, but you might have to pedal like a maniac to get there. :lol: One of those tiny rears just mentioned might be the ticket if you go that small up front. They're just held in place w/a snap ring.

80's resto rat said:
thx is it easy to put on

The cog itself goes right on but the snap ring that comes with them is burley and hard to get on, I usually just go to Ace hardware and get a lighter/thinner one.

BTW you can get these cogs for a couple of bucks plus a couple of bucks shipping on ebay from "bikewagon" that also has a website maybe same deal, dealt with them for a bunch of stuff fast ship, no problems.

i have two 80's huffy cruisers with stock 44tooth chainrings, the other common being 46tooth for mainly murrays. as for regearing it, how high or low do ya wanna go? obviously the larger up front, the higher the gear as well as the smaller on the rear wheel, the higher the gear will be. my lajolla has a 36tooth (on a 3pc crank :D ) with a 16 tooth out back, and that gives me very similar gearing to my 09' cranbrook with a 44tooth chainring and 19tooth stock cog, that i swapped out with a 20tooth to lower the gear just a little. the changing of the rear cog will change the gearing of the bike faster than changing the chainring, tooth for tooth. 16tooth is about the smallest ive found for a standard coaster wheel, although im sure a 15 or even 14 may exist to go right on without any mods. wanna go fast and never climb a hill without standing on it or walking the bike, go with a 48 or 50tooth chainring and a 16tooth cog setup. wanna scale a pine tree, get a 36 or better yet 34, 32 or even a 28tooth chainring and 22tooth cog. a 46 or 48tooth chainring on a 3pc crank spider would look sick with either a 19 or 20tooth cog. have fun.

i think im going to go with the 12t or 13t in the rear and a 36t chainwheel .Thx to every one that left a comment ,im just starting on this project ,im only 15 and i need any advice i can get thx :D

Back