starting my build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i had my intro post and now to start my build thread. so far i have a occ stingray for parts, a 16in motorcycle wheel and tire that i may mount in the stingray rear wheel, seat picked out and a design for the springer forks that i would like to build and a handlebar idea which may change. aside from the parts i use off the schwinn i will have to build everything.

mostly likely will go with 1/16 wall dom tubing not sure diameter yet for the frame and same size for the fork main legs and a smaller size for the spring legs. other than that no pics yet but hope to get some asap.

I'm excited tomorrow I pick up my donor bike from work then to take it home cut it up run the tig and get things going. The dom tube will have to wait though my supplier has to order it.....ugh gives me time to figure out the motorcycle tire on the schwinn rim ordeal oh boy

I'm excited tomorrow I pick up my donor bike from work then to take it home cut it up run the tig and get things going. The dom tube will have to wait though my supplier has to order it.....ugh gives me time to figure out the motorcycle tire on the schwinn rim ordeal oh boy
@kingfish254 has done the 16" on to a Stingray before, from memory he made a clamp jig to make it easier...

Luke.

So started hacking away....cut the stingray in front of the seat post to help maintain its shape till I get a jig setup. Getting parts and all together. Priced the dom trying to make sure that's what's I want to do. Hopefully can get it all together so I can start welding over the weekend.

Kinda decided I'm going to use every part I can just to get it rolling, lame stamped tripple trees and all. I just wanna ride it haha. I'll make improvements once it is rolling.

Ok guys so what's up with the door get forks? To build or not I have been reading around and apparently there are mixed reviews not sure what to do rigid or springer. Just went over it and parts of the headset are missing so I decided to say forget it and just build the tripple and bought a new headset.

So debate is what size tube to use...I know I want 1/16 wall not sure if I'm going to go with 1 1/4 or. 1/2 I'll get the pipe tomorrow just seeing what you guys think

So debate is what size tube to use...I know I want 1/16 wall not sure if I'm going to go with 1 1/4 or. 1/2 I'll get the pipe tomorrow just seeing what you guys think
I have used both in my builds, recently the 1 1/4" more so and I have been using a lot of 7/8th" lately too. The 1 1/2" is cool for a beefy looking bike but is overkill really...

All depends on what look you are after?

This one has a 1 1/2" top tube, 1 1/4" the rest of the frame and 1" fork legs:

8251184653_69fda4e756_z.jpg

This is made from 1 1/4":

18444124120_d7c4ca189f_z.jpg

This one has a 1 1/4" curve around the back tire, a 1" down tube and the rest is all 7/8th"

21446208373_01048b6110_z.jpg

Luke.

Well that was certainly quite helpful. Thank you very much. I'm digging the 1 1/2 top tube and. 1 1/4 rest beefy yet not over kill looking.

Well that was certainly quite helpful. Thank you very much. I'm digging the 1 1/2 top tube and. 1 1/4 rest beefy yet not over kill looking.
I figured some pics might help, glad it has!
Really looking forward to seeing your build, scratch builds are my favourite part of the RRB scene...

Luke.

So i have my bars cut for the front drop out springer, springs, ways to retain the springs my plate cut for my tripple tree threaded rod and the spike....secret part haha

Back