Steal This Bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a drill and appropriate drill bit. The I use a much larger drill bit held in my hand to create a little chamfer on all the holes I can reach with it. 12 guage spokes are the bomb.
I would normally have done exactly that, except that the old two speed Bendix hub doesn't have much meat between the spoke hole and the outer edge of the hub flange. I was just trying to preserve what I had.

In days of yore 4x was real common. 3x was popular also. Both of these leave a lot of meat on the hub spoke flange. 2x, 1x and radial pull much harder in the weakest direction for the hub spoke holes. I never worry if it is a 4x but more worry for a 3x hub in aluminum. I haven't built any wheels with the other spoke crosses. Good luck with your hub project.

I was able to get my front wheel trued and the tire mounted
P2140011.JPG
P2140015.JPG

I was working on the rear and noticed that the hub wasn't spinning very freely. I blew it apart and it's soaking in solvent overnight.
See my Macro Monday pics: https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/attachments/p2140008-jpg.185895/
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/attachments/p2140010-jpg.185896/

Got my hub internals cleaned and inspected today. Not good. Broken shifter rod left these parts floating around loose.
P2200010.JPG

Probably leading to these chewed up bearings.
P2200014.JPG

Also quite a bit of wear on the axle, probably from many years of neglect.
P2200016.JPG

I broke open my other two speed hub. It has everything I need, except there is even more wear on the axle shaft in the same location. Gonna try to get a new one. I should change the name of this build to "Steal My Money!"

Hope you get the hub fixed. I like the looks of this one.

Seen that before, have to be careful pulling tabs off newer frames these days, always grind. I've beat on Walmart frames with large holes in the stays. Piece of tape'll make the hole go away... Like it never happened.

Seen that before, have to be careful pulling tabs off newer frames these days, always grind. I've beat on Walmart frames with large holes in the stays. Piece of tape'll make the hole go away... Like it never happened.
Yeah, my garage has been upside down for about 3 months now. Waiting on getting some concrete work done. Anyway, I cut part way through with a hacksaw and knocked it the rest of the way with a hammer. 1st one came off ok, the 2nd, not so much.

Latest posts

Back