Stelber bicycles? Any info?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok new updates for the stelber bike. quite a few pictures so hopefully they'll help figure this thing out. the rear hub is a new departure, the front hub only has a "U" in a shield, the front tire is a kenda and the back a lightning, it does have a skiptooth chain, and i;m pretty sure the fork is toast cause i can;t find a way to get the broken piece of fork out.

here's the pics:

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

these may or may not help...hopefully they do. if i can take anymore let me know.

almost forgot, i took the badge off and there is no indication of another one that should have been in its place. also no numbers stamped anywhere on the frame :? the bearing races in the bb came out suprisingly easily as well did the races for the fork crown. there was a significant amount of super dark brown grease that was caked all up in the bearings so i'm currently soaking them in some deagreaser to see their condition. i really like the forks but i might have to replace them with something else, maybe a powder coated springer in the future?? we'll see.

cave12man said:
almost forgot, i took the badge off and there is no indication of another one that should have been in its place. also no numbers stamped anywhere on the frame :? the bearing races in the bb came out suprisingly easily as well did the races for the fork crown. there was a significant amount of super dark brown grease that was caked all up in the bearings so i'm currently soaking them in some deagreaser to see their condition. i really like the forks but i might have to replace them with something else, maybe a powder coated springer in the future?? we'll see.
i really like the forks but i might have to replace them with something else, maybe a powder coated springer in the future?? we'll see.[/quote]they sure look like schwinn blade forks to me!

One of the other forum members posted pics of a Stelber bike recently that had a Hedstrom style crank in it. It was Oscar Hedstrom that founded Indian motorcycles. Hedstrom held a lot of patents in bicycle and motorcycle design back in the early 20th century. He was also partners with George Hendee that manufactured bicycles and motorcycles in Springfield MA. I'm curious if that bike was manufactured by the Hendee Manufacturing Co? The U with shield on the front hub indicates a Union hub most likely made in Germany. It's plausible that the front hub might have been replaced somewhere along the way? You might try heating the fork tube with a propane torch to loosen the lug?

deorman said:
Maybe this could be a Hawthorne? :?
Those were made mostly by Snyder, and distributed by DP Harris. The rest were made by CWC, occasionally Huffman, and probably a Monark Here & there. Not trying to be Mr. Know it all, just offering up clarification for my RRB peeps! -Adam

Hey folks i just found a Stelber in the barn and am getting ready to do a total restoration, its all in tact but tons of rust! How do I add pics to this post as i’ ve never been to this site before. Help me out.

Stelber = Stellar & Berkowitz. Two guys who had an east coast chain of department stores. They also had their own bicycle company where they made kids and other low end bikes. I read somewhere years ago that they were consider to be pretty poor construction. They sold many models made by a variety of other companies. I own a Stelber 3 speed, made in England. Typical Hercules or Phillips but with the most detailed head badge I've ever seen. Stamped aluminum with incredible fine details.

Stelber Bicycle company based in New York, USA. "Well known in the industry" (but not to the public), owners of Iverson, makers of a variety of single speed American middleweight bicycles in the 1950 & 60s.

I'll have to take a better photo with my hi-res close up camera next time I have the bike out.
8884141332_43c92ea753_o.jpg

Ok mine isn't nearly as detailed but a Stilber just the same . Will ad pics when I get it finished that sand blasting is a messy job, but boy it saves time.

Back