Stem/handlbar issue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stem is larger than the handle bars I want to run. is their anything that can be done to allow me to use the bars? Spacers? Welding something on the bars to fill the gap? What is the solution other than running a different stem or different bars?

Local hardware store should have some sort of sleeve that you can slide onto the handlebars to fill the gap. Or just a small length of pipe and cut a slit in it so it can expand some.

deven_science said:
They do sell spacers for that exact purpose. I buy them from a LBS for less than $5.

Why that's just crazy enough to work!! :mrgreen:

only kidding around :D

i just have to smile 'cause sometimes it seems (after 25 yrs in the business) the bike shop is the LAST place folks check for bicycle parts....

(strangely enough we seem to be the FIRST place folks check for parts for everything from go carts to lawn mowers to hot dog machines :mrgreen: )

Many of those 60's bikes used the !" stems but used handle bars that had a welded on or slipped-on spacer on the center of 7/8" handlebars. In fact, I think the bike I pulled that stem from had the welded on spacer. And I know the 1959 Murray I sold had the same setup. You can also use a slim bit of snipped steel from just about anywhere as a spacer.

Latest posts

Back