Stem Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the newer stems with the 4 allen bolt clamp like most Wally kids bikes have interchangable with the older single pinch bolt stems like a Wald? What about mtn, bike stems ? I Noticed my Murray mtn. Bike has a stem with a sorta countersunk allen head wedge bolt.

Stems have 3 basic differences when it comes to interchangeability.

1. Threaded or threadless - threaded or quill stems are the stems that fit inside the steerer tube and have an expansion bolt. These are what old cruisers have. Threadless is what most new bikes have. These clamp over the steerer tube.

2. Steerer Tube Size - 1 inch, 1 1/8 inch, 1 1/4 inch, or tapered which is usually 1 1/8 at the top and 1 1/4 at the bottom.

3. Handle Bar Clamp Size - This is the size of the clamp where the bars go.

So you can use a BMX, MTB, Cruiser, Road, or any other stem as long as you know what what size you have. But to answer your question, yes, you can swap a 4 bolt clamp for a single bolt clamp.

You can also use a stem converter to use a threadless stem on a quill type steerer.

stem02.jpg

well again thru experience i will say on some older bikes the newer stems do not work out to the better
i ruined a pair of flying wedge forks by trying to fit a newer stem in them
an idiotic move on my behalf but do not force it in
i have also found that greasing the stem up helps it fit better and is easier to remove for servicing
best bet is mockup for fitting to see if it will fit
Sean

Latest posts

Back