Stem trouble

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got my beautiful Project 346 handlebar, but since I'm way too new at this I didn't think a second about dimensions :oops:

The handlebar is 22.2 mm, which when it comes to stems seems to be quite rare. So here I am - a handlebar I love, and seemingly without a way to mount it.

Would anyone be able to throw a hint or two my way on where to get a nice cruiser stem, or how to fix this?

(The fork fits a 22.2 mm stem.)

Oh shims, that would be sweet! Gotta be a bike shop around here that has that!

Thanks guys!

Well, after a lot of calling bike shops, I guess it looks like noone carries shims in Sweden :?

So I'm about to make my own. Now, material-wise, I'm thinking I should go with iron, and not aluminum or copper or any such softer metal... right?

id5000,
I used a section cut from a piece of coppper pipe from the hardware store. It holds very well, there are a lot of hills where I live, so I am always pulling on the bars while climbing. Others have used pieces cut from your favorite beverage can. :wink:
Here's a poor mobile phone picture.
IMG_0349.jpg

Good luck!
Dr. T

Oh, ok :D

Sweet light btw, I'm looking for something like that - is it something rare, or is it something available on the net?

cut the top from a soup can and wrap it around the bar. we used to do this when we were kids and stripped the knurling off our bars by totally abusing our bikes

Back