#@$%* stem!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I'm taking apart a typical 50's Hercules English 3 speed bike. It has a standard stem on it (I think) and it wont come out. It twists around fine, so the stem itself isn't stuck. Its something else. I cant get the the bolt that runs through it all the way out. It twists and twists but wont come out. I have tried pounding it out from the bottom, but the bolt sticks through the bottom meaning I am just pounding it up into the stem, which just tightens it up. Any ideas?

I had a bike where the fork tube was rusted and the wedge busted a hole through the fork. You might try taking the bolt all the way out. The use a block of wood to hammer out the stem(w/handlebars in). If the steertube has a rusted hole, you might have to hammer out the bearing cups so the fork comes out of the frame.

Becareful of the bearings, they are probably loose

Sounds like the wedge may be rusted to the stem? Try screwing the bolt back in part way, leaving about 1/2 inch unthreaded & whacking the bolt down with a hammer to bust the wedge loose.

If the hammer trick doesn't work get at the top and bottom of the wedge with whatever penetrating oil you have handy, and get a bigger hammer.

Back