Stingray / Fastback shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did Schwinn use the same shifter on both 3-speed and 5-speed models? Since one was an internal gear hub and the other a deraileur, it seems like they'd need different cable travel. The Fastback that I just picked up has a broken S-A hub and missing the shifter. I was toying with the idea of lacing in a new S-A 8 speed hub, which is geared pretty well for small wheel bikes. I'm curious if the hub could operated with a modifed Schwinn shifter somehow or if I'd be stuck using the twist grip that Stumey Archer includes with the hub. Has anyone looked into that sort of thing before?

To answer your question "No" the 3sp. is an index type and the 5sp. stick is a friction type but i have
done it but its a fine line between hitting the gear and it could dammage the hub if you get it off a
little. I have had good luck useing a Shimano click stick with the sturmy hub !

I guess what I was thinking was that if I can sort out how much cable travel is needed to shift the Sturmey-Archer 8-speed, then I might be able to make a new index plate for the 3-speed shifter to give me the right throw and the right number of index spacings. But it would be a bit of an experiment...

Back