stingray repop?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Specifically what do you look for? I know the serial numbers are in a different location but that can be faked.
I have an orange repop frame here at the house...The only problem I had building it up besides affording the parts, was the chainguard from a girl's bike almost but didn't quite fit.

Repop = reproduction

The Black Friday bikes are easy to spot once yo know what to look for. Chainring is way different looking, seat is flatter, they have a 20" springer with a 16" wheel not a 24" springer, they have warning stickers, welded tubes not electroforged, the paint is not metallic, plus the originals never came in blue or black. Chain guard says Stingray instead of ____Krate.

Also, most repops are probably already more rusty than an original.

Ok, here's an example. I bought it off eBay quite a while ago.
DSCN2346_zpsbe0f5e83.jpg

Here's how the chain guard fit it:
DSCN2347_zps516151e0.jpg

But here is a Chicago sticker:
DSCN2349_zpsf84e24f9.jpg

And just for a kicker, the poor looking welds on the bottom bracket area:
DSCN2350_zpse53c1b2b.jpg

SO... What is it, real or Chinese or??? I'll reveal the Serial number later ...can you tell which it is without knowing?Did it start life as a Krate, a single speed, a 5 speed, or??
Don't let the bolted on parts affect your opinion, as they were all added later to the used bare frame.

That looks like an original to me. Electroforged head tube. Not sure why your guard won't fit. I was either a single speed or a three speed with coaster brake. No hand brake bracket

Okay, a view from the bottom.. no serial number.
DSCN2354_zps513ae089.jpg

Here's the serial stamping on the headtube...no badge was supplied with the bike.
DSCN2353_zpsca921ca3.jpg

Serial is DAN00928...a number I have yet to find anywhere online.

Back