StingRays, StingRays, StingRays

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Answered a C.L. ad selling old Sting-Rays riders that just came out of storage. When I got there the guys driveway was lined with them. My daughter and I started looking them over and picking out the ones we liked, then the owner said he would like to sell the whole lot if I was interested, I said ok, I'll bite how much, he threw out a price. My Daughter and I talked and made a counter offer he accepted and it was time to see how many Rays you can fit in a Chevy S-10, and home with them we went. Many can and will be saved a few will be parts bikes. 6 Boys Rays and 9 Girls Rays, All the Boys bikes will be Saved.
beed36f18b2a0fd6d0329ca6e5923707.jpg

bae6bef394ee98b54fa254a41b5f3359.jpg

f687fb58f990cd5571546ae09fab3bb8.jpg

I'm pretty sure that you have just set the new record for the number of Stingrays on an S10 on the deal too! Congrats!
Great Find!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I wonder how he ended up with so many?
How the story on this goes is: The previous owner was a Cub Scout Leader and he was looking for a fun way to get his kids and the scouts he worked with involved in the 4th of July Parade in town each year. He was a bike guy and thought it would be fun for the kids to ride old Stingrays all decorated in the parade. So he started buying them up as he saw them garage sales, flea markets, discarded with the trash, etc. Another guy he knew locally did the same, so every year on the fourth they would get all the scouts and siblings together decorate the bikes and ride them in the parade. This got to be pretty big and there was even a newspaper article written about the kids, and the old bikes. Once the kids got to big to ride them anymore they were put away in storage, and just came back out to sold off this weekend.

Congrats man! Good score there! Can't beat that for a Memorial Day score!

That may be one of the coolest back stories on a find so far.

Would be great to find the newspaper article on the group and get a bunch of kids together to ride in an upcoming 4th of July parade.

Hoarders! We like hoarders! Nice haul. There are still lots of good bikes to be found out there. Of course, it helps to live near Chicago if you're hunting Schwinn's. Gary

Back