TRADITIONAL Stir crazy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a looker, fer sure. Frame, tank, seat, and all. Fork. Did I mention the fork?
In other words, Nice Package!

I finished up the rear fender today. It finished up it's time in the oa bath and got a coat of dead flat clear. I got the newly relocated brace drilled and attached. The inside of the fender had the same blue paint i stripped off the outside. Didn't want to break out the stripper again so i painted it with krylon hammered dark bronze. It was a pretty good match to the darkened finish on the outside. My problem now is to leave it with one brace or add the second one. Any input would be appreciated. I like both and will move front braces to match the rear.
20240605_145517.jpg
20240605_145933.jpg
20240605_150725.jpg

I don't dislike the two braces, but I think I like the single brace better.

I like both single and double fender brace arrangements. Are you going to run a rack? If so I think 2 braces might be too busy. It would be interesting to see how they look with the chain guard too. Looking good overall. I love the bare metal look.

I like both single and double fender brace arrangements. Are you going to run a rack? If so I think 2 braces might be too busy. It would be interesting to see how they look with the chain guard too. Looking good overall. I love the bare metal look.
I'm thinking i will go with the single brace. I have a plan for a rack if i can make everything fit. I also am planning on using a monark super deluxe chainguard when it arrives next week. I like the flow of those. Until then back to the front fender and seat mounting.

Back from second page status. I finished off front fender and need to get mounted. I got the seat hardware all stripped and soaked in the oa bath for a day or so. I gave it all a couple coats of dead flat clear. I will assemble and mount up in the morning. I also pulled out a couple chain guards to consider. First one is a JC Higgins Second one s a unknown to me swap meet find. And the third is a Monark super deluxe. I'm leaning towards the Monark. I think it has the best form and its a big ole canvass for more dimple die holes. Sometime this week i will get some sprockets and cranks out so i can see what fits.
20240617_185822.jpg
20240617_192932.jpg
20240617_192953.jpg
20240617_185810.jpg

I was about to say, it's hard to say without the reference of the bike, but then you mentioned the dimple dies and it becomes a no brainer. That should be a great tie in with the tank.

20240623_094250.jpg
20240623_094424.jpg
20240617_184851 (2).jpg
20240623_095404.jpg
20240623_095627.jpg
Progress update. Yard work and a short vacation put a halt to moving forward. Back at it this week. I finished front fender, installed seat post and mounted up seat. I found a patinaed stem that worked. I'm still looking for the right bars. The cranks and sprocket are taking a nice soak in the oa bath after knocking the paint and grease off. It's a Shelby swap meet find. The monark deluxe chainguard is spending some time with a slow working stripper.

Back from second page status. I finished off front fender and need to get mounted. I got the seat hardware all stripped and soaked in the oa bath for a day or so. I gave it all a couple coats of dead flat clear. I will assemble and mount up in the morning. I also pulled out a couple chain guards to consider. First one is a JC Higgins Second one s an unknown to me swap meet find. And the third is a Monark super deluxe. I'm leaning towards the Monark. I think it has the best form and its a big ole canvass for more dimple die holes. Sometime this week i will get some sprockets and cranks out so i can see what fits.View attachment 269983View attachment 269984View attachment 269985View attachment 269986
I’m running that same blue chain guard. So nice.

Looking good. The bike has an almost galvanized steel vibe to it.

Latest posts

Back