Straighten bent fork?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to attempt to straighten this steel fork. My current thought it to secure one leg in a vice in the workbench. Somehow bolt a long piece of angle iron in the other. Picture a giant set of scissors where I can get some leverage.

I am open to suggestions.

See video for current condition.

I use two axles bolted into the dropouts as alignment guides. The parts that extend outward can be used as levers to tweak the drops. However, it looks like you might need more than that, one leg needs to come forward

Park Tool used to produce a tool called the FT-4 that would be perfect in this situation. That tool immobilizes the stem/crown in the horizontal plane while the user makes adjustments to the individual fork blades. The dropout tools you have are very good at what they do, but aren't really designed to tweak the entire blade, just the dropouts. The FT-4 is long out of production, but maybe you can find an LBS or co-op that possess one--our's has the lever, but not the clamp.

FT-4.jpg

Well I failed.
Thanks for sharing the experience. I learned something valuable - reinforce the neck with the mating nut before applying internal force. Maybe a heavy duty hose clamp as well.

Seems like even that fancy Park tool might distort the stem if the ID of the clamp wasn't well matched to the OD of the stem.

I'm skeptical of the "drive a car over it" method. If you want to end up with the forks in plane, you'd have to overbend them past that plane so they could "springback" to the desired position. Creating a nonplanar jig with the right amount of twist would be quite an engineering challenge.

I'm a "lock in the vice then tweak to suit" kind of guy. I have a big bag of hard rubber rectangles in a couple of thicknesses, about the size of a candy bar and pieces of heavy wall pipe cut in half to form a semi-circular trough, that I can use to pad the jaws for whatever I'm trying to do.

Occasionally, I'm trying to fix something where it would be nice to have access to the kind of heavy duty rack that is used for straightening car chassis. (or used to be, now they probably just total cars with bent uni-bodies) . I tried setting anchors into my basement floor, but it just trashed the 100 year old, too thin concrete. I was thinking about dragging my workpiece out to a local railroad track, but it might be bad to have my cherry picker base and bottle jack chained down to the tracks when a train showed up.

This hobby is almost 100% about the learning experience for me. I’m always looking for a new challenge. That is the fun. I am currently troubleshooting some recurring issues with wheels for a heavy rider. I have gone VERY deep into the university of YouTube in the topic. I have another thread on the topic that I should update. The fact that he is having so many issues with his wheels is fantastic for me. It is forcing me to learn so much.

Yes in hindsight I should have attached some old headset nuts. I also need to invest in a heavier vise. Mine is tiny and not really suitable for this type of work.

Latest posts

Back